OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Start to my season (Kansas & Nebraska)

Started by AUDoubleBeard, April 24, 2013, 03:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUDoubleBeard

Well it has been an interesting start to my season.  The first bird was taken on the Kansas opener.  I heard two birds on the roost but they were off the property line and a good way away.  I decided to call to them anyway hoping they may venture over my way.  After about thirty minutes a bird fire off to my left only about 150 yards away.  I made a few soft clucks and purrs from my Lights Out Old Gobbler aluminum call and within two minutes he is standing at the edge of the powerline I was sitting on.  He strutted on the hill top for about a minute before he decided it was time to kick ole jake DSD's butt.  I shot him at twenty yards.  10" beard, 1-3/8" and ¾" Spurs (he broke one off....) he weighed a staggering 25.86 #'s!

This past weekend I and Jacob (jake on here) went up to NW Nebraska to hunt Merriams.   It snowed from Omaha until we got there.  Friday started out with a blank so we moved to a different spot Saturday morning and had numerous birds hammering on the roost.  Once they flew down we made a move on them and I was able to take a nice Merriam.   The only problem was that I shot him a 15 yards and the shot carried him off about a 75 foot drop off in the woods.  He messed his fan up pretty good on the way down.

On Sunday Jacob got a nice bird right off the roost.

Tommy Strutsalot

Awesome, Great start.  Love the white coloration on the tail feathers on your buddy's Merriam's.  Great job. 

Shakey Jake

DirtNap647

tomstopper

Congrats on some great looking birds.....

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

alloutdoors

AUDoubleBeard

Thanks guys, I just got the invite to go back to Nebraska this weekend so I have two more tags to fill! :icon_thumright:

runngun

Go get'em

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

beagler

Never Misses

boomer

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

AUDoubleBeard

4 long beards hit the dirt yesterday from three of us.  Will post pictures once I get back from Nebraska!  :newmascot: