OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#3 down-unusual tactics paid off

Started by mtsrunner, April 23, 2013, 10:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtsrunner

I limited out early in SC (only allowed two on the land I hunt), so I turned my attention to my in-laws 60 acre farm in TN two weeks ago.

I hunted 5 times over the last two weeks and consistently saw the same 6 gobblers; 5 two year olds and one monster.

The problem is that they are always with hens and I can't drag the boys away from them. Since its such a small farm, I am super cautious about not getting busted.

So this afternoon I decided to set up really close to a known roost site, but I didn't put out any decoys and I didn't call at all-none. I made sure to get tucked in to a brushy area and stayed really still.

At about 5:45 two hens walked right in front of me (10 yds) just in a field along the wood line.
5 minutes later I saw the top of a fan coming right at me. The problem was that I was slightly below the level of the field and the grass was pretty high. A few seconds later I had two gobblers 15 yds and closing. I really didn't have time to study them because they were right in my lap.
I picked the one that was lined up with my gun barrel and settled very carefully on his head. I shot him at 12 yds, which is definitely the closest I have ever had to shoot one.

21# 14oz, 9.5" beard, only 1/2" spurs.

Encore 12 ga 20" barrel, Kick's GT .665, H13 3" 2oz Magblends.

The best news is that the big bird is still out there and I have almost 3 weeks of season left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alloutdoors

TRKYHTR

Congrats nice gobbler. Go get the big one.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mtsrunner

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 23, 2013, 10:35:15 PM
Congrats nice gobbler. Go get the big one.

TRKYHTR
Thanks.
I am going to hold out for the big boy. It's hard to pass on any mature gobbler, but this one is worth waiting for. I killed a bird on this farm about 4 or 5 years ago that was just over 25lbs (my avatar). I think the one I am after will come close to him.

I can only hope his beard and spurs are as nice (14" paintbrush and 1 3/4" daggers with white tips).

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with ANY mature Eastern.

Buckeye_Strutter_935

reminds me of the time i layed in a ditch for 2 hours waiting on a monster tom lol......great bird and awesome story
Feathers Fear Me

mtsrunner

Quote from: Buckeye_Strutter_935 on April 23, 2013, 10:48:21 PM
reminds me of the time i layed in a ditch for 2 hours waiting on a monster tom lol......great bird and awesome story

Thanks. I used to feel like it was cheating if they didn't come to your call gobbling their brains out. I have since humbled myself and take pride in trying to be adaptive to the situation. I suffered too many dry spells due to my stubbornness and ignorance. I have learned to be grateful for any chance I get to spend outdoors.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Full strut decoy and a pair of hen deeks will likely put the big boy in your lap.

Congrats on a good season and a great hunt! Go get ya another one!

tomstopper

Nice. Congrats on a good looking bird.....

boomer

mtsrunner

Thanks. I'm hunting his daddy right now. I heard him gobbling, but he is on another property. I had permission to hunt it last year. I am going to take a jar of our honey to the landowner this week and see if I can hunt there again.

Terry

Quote from: mtsrunner on April 24, 2013, 07:31:32 AMI am going to take a jar of our honey to the landowner this week and see if I can hunt there again.

Good move, sweeten him up!

Congrats on your bird and good luck chasing the big one.

blgoode

Yeah man!! Lets see that TC Encore better :)

slamman

mtsrunner

Quote from: blgoode on April 24, 2013, 08:42:52 AM
Yeah man!! Lets see that TC Encore better :)
Here ya go. I just took this pic. I also just heard a gobble. Gotta go!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!