turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My first ever day hunting Turkey...

Started by kevin2, April 22, 2013, 10:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

well, it was my first official day hunting turkey today. Got in the woods at 5:15, had 2 toms sounding off for a good long time in the roost. Both touched down within 75 yards of me. I failed to call either in, with oR without there hens at day break. I did manage to call in 3 hens during the day. 2 about 2 hours in & they had a Tom in close pursuit. However, they didn't get close enough. Not sure if they were scared by my 3 decoys OR my lack of calling. I was so trying not to over call early in the day THAT I think I was under calling.

So, in the afternoon, I called a bit more & a bit more intense. This got one tom to respond & come to about 75 yards, but he wouldn't commit. I didn't have decoys out at this point, as I was second guessing my decoy spread from the morning??

Then I managed to call in a hen to 25-30 yards, had my bow dead on her. Was the most exciting minutes of the day having her respond to my calling & come straight into my blind within bow range. The tom that was behind her would not come into the open. She made her way by me & he continued to gobble for 3 hours. I tried mostly not trying to call back, as I was told OR read here on the oldgobbler, which seemed to work in bringing him ever so close, but never in the open where I could get a bow shot at him. HAVE no idea what was holding him up. Then when the day was burning out, I called a bit more THINKING I'd try to change it up, but this guy just wouldn't come. He zig zagged back and forth at about 50-75 yards for 3 hours! About put me in the grave!

I did a lot right. Scouted out a place I knew they roosted, managed to get toms & hens to respond to my calls, got that hen to come into my set, stayed patient, stayed still, just about everything but kill a Gobbler! Wish I had a pro/veteran hunter with me, as the learning curve would be much faster. As it stands, I've learned everything by reading articles & threads here on the web.

I'll definitely be more assertive on wednesday IF I'm fortunate enough to get myself into a spot with Turkeys on the roost. That was likely my biggest mistake.

On a good note, there was 6 other hunters hunting this farm & not a one of them saw OR heard a turkey all day. So, that made me feel a bit better.

Was exciting, that is for sure. Did manage to get some turkeys on film, so it wasn't a complete bust.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

GobbleNut

Sounds like you had a great first day of turkey hunting, Kevin!  Your "close but no cigar" outcome is more the norm than it is the exception in this game.  For you to come so close on your first try means you are on the right track to success. 

You may or may not have been able to do something with those birds to get a shot, but there is no "magic bullet" in turkey hunting.  These birds do what they want to do,...and often it is not what we want them to do.

Keep after 'em.  Experience is the best teacher. I predict success is on the horizon!

DirtNap647

no verteran would always be able to put a gobbler on his lap everytime its turkey huntin just enjoy it and it will happen eventually

lightsoutcalls

You got much closer on your first day than I did.  Keep at it!  Sounds like you did a lot of things right.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

870supermagnum

Hey kevin2, you're doing great for the first time, especially trying to get a gobbler within bow range.  You'll learn and improve everytime you go out, so get back out there and call one in close.  It'll make your heart race.

kevin2

What was really amazing was that I experienced several of the things that I hear about her on Oldgobbler. For instance, it was really cool seeing the gobbler just yards from me in the tree, stretching his wings & gobbling, I mean really lighting up the forest with those gobbles AS it was dead silent yesterday with no wind, and then one of the more amazing things was hearing the fly down cackle of a hen & seeing her and her fellow hens pitch down right in front of me. That cackle was really cool.

I was also very taken by how I was able to match the sound of this particular hen to one of my calls. In this case, I did an assemble call on my long box & when this hen came in, I actually thought it was this other hunter (he was about 200 yards down the field edge from me) attempting to call in a bird, but then the sound continued to get closer and closer. Really amazing how that box call sounded more like her natural sound than any of the other calls I own.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Mike Honcho

Kevin:  Great story on your first hunt...it's difficult getting turkeys within bow range and I have great respect for those that do it.  I bow hunt deer but use the longbow (12 ga. ! ) for turkey.   I've been hunting turkeys avidly for several years and I never stop learning from them. 

tomstopper

Quote from: MrB0000M on April 23, 2013, 08:30:49 AM
no verteran would always be able to put a gobbler on his lap everytime its turkey huntin just enjoy it and it will happen eventually
x2 It took me 3 years before I got mine when I was younger. Been hooked ever since. Good luck....

Buckeye_Strutter_935

stay at it kev...great first day dont be scared to over call......... :icon_thumright: some birds with hang up and ive went crazy on the mouth call and they mad a B-line for my set up.....
Feathers Fear Me

ALfwlmth

Shoot, that's a great day in the turkey woods, if you ask me. Calling, not calling...moving, not moving. All that comes from hours logged in the turkey woods. That's what I like about turkey hunting.....every single hunt is a learning experience. I just hope you learned the most important lesson of the day..."Oh, I had a great first turkey hunt today, just wish I had heard some gobbling or seen some turkeys. Did ya'll get on any birds today?" 

catman529

sounds like an awesome first day to me. I doubt you were under-calling. Sometimes they just won't show though. Hope you kill one soon and post pics! Best of luck

Spring Creek Calls

You've got a great start on a very addictive sport. Don't be afraid to hit 'em with that long box!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com