Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Sling recommendation for my Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip Turkey Gun

Started by Tracker, April 22, 2013, 09:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracker

Hey guys, I wanted to see if someone could recommend a sling for my Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip Turkey Gun?  The fact that the stock does not have a stud drilled, and you have to use the side stock bracket appears to be limiting my choices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks guys!

Tracker

Borden811

I'm interested to see what others are using as well. I'm looking for one for on my steadygrip as well. I'm considering just taking the rear swivel off one of my old slings and threading the tag end through the sling plate.

dms2511

I took my steady grip stock from my SBE II to a gunsmith and had a traditional swivel stud installed directly into the stock.  The stock is obviously hollow, so he drilled the stock and reinforced the stud inside the stock with fiberglass rifle bedding material.  I have carried the gun for the past two seasons without any problems and it is very sturdy.  He had done two of my buddies guns with the same results.  I like this option much better then threading a sling thru the stock.

Ridge Rooster

Vero Vellini is what I had on my old steady grip, threaded through the side. Been using these slings for years.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

davisd9

I personally like that inexpensive neoprene slings.  They have some give to them and are comfortable over the shoulder.  Price is great too!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

weave

The plastic on the stock is actually pretty thick.

I laid mine next to my original stock, took out the Sharpie and put a mark on it, took out the drill and made a small hole, then screwed in my new one just like it was a wooden stock. I guess if it ever loosens up I'll look at adding some epoxy to the back side but I don't see it being a problem right now.

I have been carrying it around all season with no issues at all.

As for the sling I bought a paracord sling off of a member here.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

01Foreman400

When I had one I had my gunsmith also install a sling swivel stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

spaightlabs

The original claw slings can be unthreaded from one end and mounted to the plate.

You can get an Uncle Mikes stud with a machine thread and nylon lined nut.  You stick a coarse threaded stud into plastic andyou risk splitting it.

SgtUSMC

This is simple, just had my buddy going through the same thing. 
He was using a claw sling, but most slings are the same at on the bottom half.

Just take a scalpel, razor blade, whatever... and cut the stitching at the bottom where it is stitched together making the loop that is holding the swivel.

Take the swivel off, then loop the sling through the slot in the stock, and back through the other plastic piece that tightens it.

Then when you want to put it back on the regular stock you just undo it, loop it back through the swivel, and tighten it back up again with the plastic piece (wish I could remember what that thing is called)

PS.. I had him put that swivel on the stud of the regular stock on his SBE so he doesn't lose it.