turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Went turkey hunting but killed a yote

Started by reflexl, April 22, 2013, 06:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I was turkey hunting and in the process of setting up decoys for fly down. I left my un-loaded shotgun at my seat and walked out about 30 yards to set up the dekes. I noticed something moving at the edge of the clearing I was in. Coyote. I didn't have my face net down yet and he didn't spook. He began circling me. I normaly pack a handgun just for these occaisions but this morning I didn't. I started backing up toward my shotgun and kept my eyes on him the whole time. He was posturing agressively. I slipped a shell in the BPS and walked back toward my decoys. He had moved up to right at 12 yards. I lowered the boom on him. I don't know if he was thinking about eating me or if he was protecting his turf. We hate yotes here as bad as people hate wolves in the north west. Bobcats and foxes deal with rodents without all the bad things that come from yotes. reflex264

WV TURKEY THUG

Everytime I yelped on my mouth call this morninga coyote would make all kinds of weird sounds I've coyote hunted for 2 years and yet have heard a coyote make this sound . Made me put that 5th shell in the gun. Never did see it. At first it yipped a little that how I new it was a yote

Spring_Woods

Awesome! Good job doing that, you've just likely created opportunity for more turkey poults to survive!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

turkeytromp

Congrats on the yote! You just saved at least a half dozen turkeys or so in your hunting area!

tomstopper

Congrats. The only good one is a dead one......

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

captin_hook

eddie234

Good job. I've had a few run in with yotes but haven't been able to kill one yet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

lightsoutcalls

Good looking (dead) coyote.  We saw a couple this weekend, but from distances that we couldn't get a good shot.  We heard more in a ravine where the birds had been roosting.  The next day the birds didn't pattern anything like the day before the coyotes sounded off. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

870supermagnum

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Improvinghunter101

Congrats on the yote!  I did the same thing last year.  Had a gobbler at 50 yards just over the side of a ridge and then flew up in a tree.  I thought it was strange but have had turkeys fly up into trees to see if they could see the hen.  Next thing I know one yote to my left and one coming straight on.  It got to 10 yards and it stopped and that's where it stayed.  Tried to get the other one but it's hard to get a good shot at one running through the woods.

remmy1187

I would much rather kill a longbeard but a dead yote would be OK too.