turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun barked early this morning

Started by STRYKER, April 22, 2013, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRYKER

Morning started off by me being late getting in the woods. I thought daybreak was around 6:15 well by 6 i could see and had just pulled in to the farm i was hunting. So i get my boots laced up and fourwheeler unloaded and fly up the mountain. When i get parked grab my gun and start walking down the trail, im digging my hoot n stick out of my pocket when one sounds off on a little finger ridge beside me. So im thinkin he is going to go up that ridge and i'll meet him on the top. So i walked briskly (not run im a smoker) until i get to the top where i almost killed over from being a tad out of shape. Then i see a guy up there heading towards the gobbler and he is wearing a blaze orange hat, to say i was upset was an understatement. So now i head back down the way i came and far as i know he never saw me. I get down to where i was standing when i first heard him gobble and find a big tree and just sit down. Now i finally get to try out my new call (thanks pappy). I hit a few soft yelps.... nothing. So i went straight to aggressive cutting followed by excited yelps and one sounded off maybe 10 yards right behind me and there is nothing i could do, my gun was in my lap and i had the call in my hand. I just sit there trying to be still and hoping he didnt see me breathing real hard. About that time i see another big white head out in front of me coming on a string. He went behind a tree and gave me a chance to get my gun up, at this time i had no idea where the one went behind me he never putted or anything, and when he stepped into my designated clearing i had picked out. I clucked real light and he stuck that ol head up for me to slam with some mag blends. He was a nice 2yr old with a 9" beard and both hooks were broke so i havent measured them yet. Shot him at 6:40 and made it to work by 8. Didnt even have to burn vacation for this one.

DirtNap647

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

tomstopper

alloutdoors

Longshot

Isn't it great when everything just comes together? Congrats.
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

Buckeye_Strutter_935

nice hunt man gotta love turkey season
Feathers Fear Me

Shakey Jake

earlybird

Good job,it sucks when you get cut off like that but it worked out good for you.

surehuntsalot

don't you just love those kind of hunts :icon_thumright:
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

STRYKER

I do love these kind of hunts. The only thing is Im in WV and we only get 2 tags so now i am scared to go hunting again because i dont want to tag out already and i am not real sure i could let one walk especially if he is struttin and spittin like this one was. Actually i know i couldnt pass one up. So i am just going to wait til my buddy can go and try to get him 1 before i go after them again.

870supermagnum

ElkTurkMan

That is awesome gotta love those quick hunts.  COngrats on your bird.

boomer