OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One down in WV

Started by WV Ridge Reaper, April 22, 2013, 09:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Ridge Reaper

Killed a jake this morning,first bird I have ever killed alone..I am tickled.Will post pics later,got to go find my twisted sister I dropped it some place.

eddie234

Way to go. Waiting on pictures

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

Gooserbat

Congrats on a successful hunt, and taking a step up and doing it on your own.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

alloutdoors

Longshot

Congratulations! You learn a little more with each bird in the bag and with each near miss. Good job on getting that first one under your belt.
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

WV Ridge Reaper

Well today was opening morning here in WV,I was out all last week and everything seemed hened up.So I never had much hope for this morning.

I headed out and started for the gas line that I heard them on last week,I get almost there and see a SUV parked in the field so I turned around and head towards the gas line from the side.As soon as I turned to start that way one gobbled,I owl hooted a time or two and he would answer me back every time.

As I was walking down to where I wanted to go he continued to gobble and the people in the SUV started calling.Every time they would call he would answer,they also down a gobble and I knew that minute that was the wrong thing for them to do.While on my way down to my spot I thought to myself I have to get closer to this bird then they are.

I get close within 150 yards of him,he is on a ridge and I am down a hollow up the other side almost in the bottom of the hollow.I never stuck a decoy out due to the fact I wanted to be quite,so I sat down and started calling ever 5 mins and I would scratch the leaves.He answered me every time.Next thing I know I hear a bunch of hens fly down and he went crazy.I continued calling every little bit and next thing I know I see 2 hens about 50 yards away just over the bank.I thought boy this bird is going to come right threw here.Well he keeps gobbling and keeps getting closer and closer,next thing I know he is drumming now I am really pump.I let a few cuts on the mouth call and boom I see his head to the left,I eased around a little and the rest was histroy!!!!

I know some people frown on shooting jakes but I have never called a bird in and killed it myself.I had a jake called in for me when I was in high school.I never knew this was a jake this morning I just knew he was gobbling and I seen a head.I am very happy with it,I felt like I was on top of the world when he hit the ground.

Bird was on the ground at 7:00 on the dot..It had a 4 1/2 beard,I shot it with a Winchester 20 gauge with Magnum Blend,41 yards and he folded on the spot.Called in with a Twisted Sister and a Primos mouth call.I love the heck out of the Twisted Sister...I thought I had lost the call went back and tracked my steps,never found it.Came home and checked my vest again and it was in there!!!

Longshot

You called a gobbling bird to the gun. How can you ask for more? besides, the spurs and beards don't taste very good. Congratulations on your trophy. I am happy for you and glad you found your call too.
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

eddie234

Awesome, nice looking bird. Congrats

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

lumberjack

Congratulations!!!!! That's awesome!!! Don't let anybody give you any BS about shooting a jake!!!! Now or ever!!!!

DirtNap647

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: lumberjack on April 22, 2013, 04:09:53 PM
Congratulations!!!!! That's awesome!!! Don't let anybody give you any BS about shooting a jake!!!! Now or ever!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Lumberjack did you do any good today?

Shakey Jake

Congrats on a fine bird! :icon_thumright:

earlybird

Way to bring in the season,it looks like you put one nice shot on him.

Gold Spur

Congrats on a beautiful bird.... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Tomspur

Good job on that bird.  Jakes are legal. You had a great hunt. Don't loose that twisted sister.  ;)