turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tough go in northern KY

Started by billnye30, April 21, 2013, 10:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billnye30

2nd weekend of ky season and 34 degree mornings. Yesterday I heard 1 gobble on the roost and nothing until 9 when a lone gobbler showed up out of range and called off the hen in front of my blind. After they left, I had nothing else all morning. Hunted a pair I spotted on a ridge at 1:30 and they were completely un-workable. Closest I could get them was 75yds and a lone gobble. Hunted until dark and never saw or heard another bird. Today I had zero gobbles on the roost and aside from 4 jakes that came to the dekes, I didn't see another bird. Does anyone have an idea if the cold affects them? It seems like the few birds I've seen/heard the last week have been in the woods vs on the fields. Is it food related?

jcour4

Here in Central Illinois it was 30 degrees Saturday morning and I was very surprised at the amount of gobbling I heard. I did end up calling in three toms first thing in the morning and took one before 630. This was all in thick hardwoods and hilly terrain. I was for sure it was going to be rough because of the cold, but I suppose the sun and no wind made up for that. All I can say is stay at it and maybe switch tactics to hunt more timber. Good Luck