turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

4-19-13 & 4-20-13

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, April 21, 2013, 02:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

Well the last two days I spent at quantico marine corps base guiding for the wounded warrior hunt and the turkey gods blessed us with 2 great days!!!
4-19-13...myself and a good friend guided a wounded warrior on his very first turkey hunt.  After locating a couple birds together on the roost they flew down and got quiet.  Every once in a while one would gobble and we were able to cut the distance.  Well we set up on an old trail and after a couple series of calls we got the group to answer, within 15 minutes we could tell there were multiple birds.  Well it turned out to be 4 longbeards together and they marched right down the trail gobbling.  As they got to 25 yards the wounded warrior hammered one and luck would have it one of the other three took a little to long to decide which direction he wanted to go and i was able to complete the double!!!The celebration started high fives and hugs all around, watching the excitment on his face and have him experience the feelings we all love was priceless!!!
My bird(on the left)-18.5 lbs, 11 inch beard, 1 inch spurs
WW bird on the right-17.5 lbs, 10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs

4-20-13....
Day #2 of the hunts me and my friend were planning on taking out another wounded warrior but they cancelled on us, so they sent us out on our own.  We located some birds in the tree and slipped our way closer into them.  The birds werent gobbling hard, but they did enough to let us know where they were.  After a short time of not gobbling we located the bird we had been working since flydown, we made our way towards a tall ridge he was on the other side of.  As we got closer he was gobbling on his own, we were able to slip almost to the crest of the ridge when he gobbled about 70 yards on the other side.  I set up and my friend dropped back about 30 yards and made 2 clucks and thats all it took he marched right up to he crest of the ridge and when he did he was 30 yards, he took a couple more steps closer and i let the mossburg tactical turkey with 3 1/2 inch 2 1/4oz #5,6,7 mag blend eat.  He was 21 lbs, 10 inch beard, 1 1/4 spurs.  Im now tagged out on QMCB because you can only kill 2 on base, so back to my private land for the third.

coyotetrpr

Awesome birds. Sounds like a great time.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

DirtNap647

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Great thing you did with ww! Congrats on the exceptional bird you took on 4/20.

Great job.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

tomstopper

Great birds. Congrats.....

albrubacker

Great birds! Awesome job taking the vets!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Wingboneman

Very nice birds,  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
I use to hunt up there in the fall a good bit, it has got some game on it.

alloutdoors

Great birds, congrats to all involved!  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice gobblers,congrats!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

captin_hook

boomer

Congrats on some great birds!!

T-town

Outstanding hunts, outstanding birds! Way to go!