OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Right Set Up

Started by CallDr, April 20, 2013, 07:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallDr

This clip is from Scott Rhodes, one of my "Wild Talkers in the Field". Basically Wild Talkers are just turkey hunters like all of us. This does show where the right set up was more important than calling because there were so many turkeys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itDHeTjvFvE

www.wildtalker.com

CallDr

OH...... the part I like is where the 2nd gobbler just drops to the ground. This is common because we don't hear them fly down all the time. Then he came in silent.

www.wildtalker.com

ALfwlmth

Good Night!!!  I didn't know it was possible to get a remote mic on the turkey, in the tree. I jumped 6" on the first one.
Question...I've seen a gobbler drop straight down from the limb once while hunting. Looked like a kid going off the high dive for the first time. Is that because he's trying to make no noise to gain position or be undetected, or was it just more convenient to get down?

CallDr

Quote from: ALfwlmth on April 20, 2013, 11:07:12 PM

Question...I've seen a gobbler drop straight down from the limb once while hunting. Looked like a kid going off the high dive for the first time. Is that because he's trying to make no noise to gain position or be undetected, or was it just more convenient to get down?

I don't really have a definitive answer. Wish I did...lol. That's just turkey hunting.

www.wildtalker.com

ALfwlmth

Gotcha, thanks for answering.  I would sleep a lot more if I would quit trying to figure them out and just go hunt.

CallDr

Quote from: ALfwlmth on April 21, 2013, 03:07:29 PM
Gotcha, thanks for answering.  I would sleep a lot more if I would quit trying to figure them out and just go hunt.

Figuring them out ain't going to happen....lol. I have been trying to do that for 30 years and have yet to meet anyone who has. In some ways that is what keeps us going and THINKING at night before the next days hunt. I do think most good turkey hunters do have a plan before and during a "hunt". It is this process of success and failure where we develop our skill and instincts.

www.wildtalker.com

ccleroy

Very Nice, hated I couldn't make it to OG to meet you Mike, maybe next year. Scott is a great guy.....heck of a turkey hunter as well. Love talking turkey with him.

DirtNap647