OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

11-87 with 21" barrel

Started by mossyoakpro, April 20, 2013, 06:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

Hey folks,

I have always shot lead or XR out of my 11-87 and a GT 665 but I can't shoot Hevi through that choke....I would like to shoot 3" #6 Hevi. What are some setups folks are using for this combo?

I am hoping to shorten the learning curve some.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my mobile beard and spur enhancing device

Phillippians 4:13

Longshanks

Indian Creek .665 or the Hevi 13 choke. I've shot allot of 7's through a kicks .655 and a 21" bbl 870. Turned 230's in a 10 @ 40. No damage to the choke. I would imagine that .665 kicks would turn some mean patterns with Hevi 6's. Though kicks doesn't recommend it..I have allot of friends that shoot Hevi through kicks with awesome patterns and no damage.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

.660 rhino

.650/.660 Sumtoy

Ridge Rooster

Just shot mine yesterday to check out the 3" Mag Blend 4x5x7 that I bought to try since I shot my last two Nitros at turkeys. I was very impressed with the pattern using my Rhino .660 choke. I am sure that the Hevi 6's would perform well out of the Rhino also. If you are gonna buy some new shells, Bass Pro Shop has the Mag Blend on sale right now, and I can say for sure that they work well.

Good luck

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Longshanks

I would imagine you will get any number of suggestions about a choke that will shoot hevi 6's well out of an 11-87.. A large number of chokes in the .660 to .670 range will shoot them fantastic.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mossyoakpro on April 20, 2013, 06:33:59 PM
Hey folks,

I have always shot lead or XR out of my 11-87 and a GT 665 but I can't shoot Hevi through that choke....I would like to shoot 3" #6 Hevi. What are some setups folks are using for this combo?

I am hoping to shorten the learning curve some.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my mobile beard and spur enhancing device

There are many chokes that can work with your gun, of course you understand that shorter barrels can be a challenge at times. I would start by "deep cleaning" the barrel. It's really worth the time and effort.

I do not have a 21" barrel for my 11-87 but do have 24", 26", 28" and 30". Until quite recently I had 2 of those guns and have fired hundreds and hundreds  of 3" turkey loads through them over the years. I've tried most if not all of the commercial chokes.

I did have a 21" barrel (same inside diameter as the 11-87s) on one of my 870s. it did surprising well with 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 and #7 shot with the SSX and also with the Wright's #3 turkey chokes. I also shot a few rounds through it with the Hevi-13 turkey choke and it did well that also.

Whatever choke you choose, I'd recommend the deep clean process before you pattern it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mossyoakpro

Thanks for all the help guys!!  Fortunately I found a fella that has a Hevi choke that he will let me shoot to see if I like it...if I do, pay him for it....if not give it back....so I will give that one a whirl.

Anyone have any experience with the Gobbler Max chokes from MAD?  I know they are made by IC....I may give one of them a try as well because I can get a pretty good price on them through a friend.

Thanks again gents!

remmy1187

The only choke that really shines out of my 21" barrelled 11-87 is the IC .665.  This choke was WAY better than any other choke that I tried with 6 hevishot and 7 hevishot factory loads and my duplex 6x7 handload of hevishot

mossyoakpro

Quote from: remmy1187 on April 22, 2013, 08:40:49 AM
The only choke that really shines out of my 21" barrelled 11-87 is the IC .665.  This choke was WAY better than any other choke that I tried with 6 hevishot and 7 hevishot factory loads and my duplex 6x7 handload of hevishot

Thanks Bro!  I am leaning toward the IC....I have seen nothing but good patterns from them in everything they are shot in.

Thanks again!!