OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The ol lady got her 1rst of the year

Started by Onpoint, April 19, 2013, 08:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

After a rough start my wife finally popped a good'un today. She's had a bad year and has been down in the dumps.  ( missed a couple )  she had never missed a bird until this year, she's seen me miss em but she discovered firsthand how bad it feels to pull the trigger and watch a bird fly off. Anyways back to today. It was a cold windy morning in western Kentucky, but she was determined to get a bird so we bundled up n off we went. Never heard a bird gobble. After switching farms a couple mikes on our boots and 6 hours later we finally heard one hammer. We got set up and I heard drumming and then finally saw him inside the woods across the field. He finally came in to about 35 yards but she didn't have a clear shot. All the bird would've had to do was move about 10 feet to the right or left and she would've had a shot....but, he didn't. He kept the brush between us and walked back out of the field the way he came gobbling the whole way. When he got back up in the woods we decided to try to get in the corner of the field on the same side as him and switch calls. We were easing towards where we wanted to set up stopping every few yards to listen and see if it was safe To keep moving. We were about 75 yards from where I wanted To get and he gobbled again only this time much closer. We set up right there and it wasn't long and he was in range again but still she didn't have a good shot. Next thing I know the bird is 20 yards and strutting and drumming and still wouldn't present a clear shot. Then he's 10 yards and but there's still no clear shot. He starts to come even closer and BAM!!. She got her biggest bird ever today. He was 24.5 pounds, had 1 /3/16 and 1 1/8 spurs and a 10 3/16 beard. Her biggest before him was a 2 year old so to say she was pumped would be one hell of an understatement. I couldn't be happier for my wife. It's been a great day in Kentucky. I told her the best way to get over a miss is to lay one down and that's exactly what she did.

tomstopper

Congrats to your wife. That is a dandy of a bird.......

alloutdoors

Kylongspur88

Great bird. They are shut down here. Gonna sleep in and hit the woods mid morning this weekend.

merocustomcalls

Congrats! I'm hoping to do the same for my fiance in a few weeks.

redarrow

Congrats to you both. What part of KY. do you hunt. I got friends in Cadiz,Aurora,and Gilbertsville.

cjordan

Good deal, and good bird. Glad it paid off for yall.

captin_hook

Uncle Tom

Now, that's a good one...bet that will get rid of the blues.

the Ward

Congrats!Looks cold,but hearing those gobbles sure has a way of warming ya up!...ward :you_rock:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

DirtNap647

beagler

Never Misses

chatterbox

Way to go, Bones!
He's a dandy! Congrats! :icon_thumright: