turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Mexico was good to me

Started by Turkeyman11, April 18, 2013, 01:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman11

Well, my cousin Bret and I made our yearly trek to New Mexico this week and had a good hunt despite the weather.  We arrived Saturday afternoon and after setting up the wall tent set out for some scouting.  We picked up a couple of elk horns and located a few birds.  They were really flocked up.  I saw one group that had 21 hens, 3 jakes, and four longbeards.  Opening morning brought 30 mph winds but I was fortunate to have roosted a gobbler and a group of hens the night before.  We got to within 100 yards in the dark and waited.  As it got light I could tell the hens were on the other side of him so I gave him a couple of tree yelps and when he flew down he landed in gun range.  Bret was on the gun and he leveled him.  From there we split up and an hour later I found myself working two stubborn gobblers.  As I was trying to figure out how to deal with them a gobbler from my right chimed in and a few minutes later he was running across the meadow to my setup.  Game over.  That evening I returned to the same area where I shot my bird and struck a gobbler about 5:45 p.m.  After some maneuvering and thank goodness to a mouthy I hen I was standing over my best Merriam ever at 6:30 p.m.  He weighed 23 lbs. and sported 1" hooks and a 10 3/4 inch beard.  We blew a golden opportunity the following morning on a solo gobbler by trying to get to close before working him.  You'd think we'd learn!  Anyway after two more days of solid nonstop wind we headed back to Utah.  I now have my laundry done and am waiting till next Thursday to head for South Dakota. Sorry about the upside down antler pic.

hobbes

Awesome!  I like the wall tent set up.  The weather has sucked in the Hills if that is where your headed, hopefully it will clear up for you.

Gooserbat

Congrats!!!

I'm headed to NM for the 1'st time in a couple of weeks.  I want one of those white tipped mountain birds.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

headbanger

Congrats...those merriams are some pretty birds!

DirtNap647

TRKYHTR

Thats a great looking tent. Nice pics with those white tipped Merriams. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

cuppednlocked

alclark2

Awesome pics and sounds like you had a great trip.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

stinkpickle

ghillie

alloutdoors

Awesome, congrats! Looks like a nice setup with that tent.

tomstopper

Congrats on a good looking bird.....

captin_hook

ElkTurkMan

Congrats i love those white tipped merriams

beagler

Never Misses