OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will we see a 30 pounder this year?

Started by barry, April 18, 2013, 12:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

With all these heavy birds being posted I'm thinking someone might lay down a 30 pounder this season.
Has one ever been posted on here before?
Anyone on here ever kill a 30 pounder?

FttFttVroom!

Not from me you won't. These Rios barely ever go over 20 for me. I killed maybe three or four that have gone 21-22 lbs in 25 years chasing them.

BlakeJ

Biggest spring rio I've killed was a 24 pounder (that was on a fishing scale and the taxidermist's scale). When I was young and didn't know squat about turkeys I shot one in the fall while deer hunting that went over 30 on our deer scale. If I knew more I woulda taken it to town to a certified scale.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mike Honcho

There's a 30 lb'r or two on the Kansas records...I am sure they would have been an Eastern species.

DirtNap647

30 might be a lil far out there but hey who knows

catman529

Some guy on one of the WMAs I hunt this year told me he took his son opening weekend and his son killed a 28 lber. Last year on opening morning on another WMA another guy told me he killed one in a previous year that was 27. Can't say for sure unless I saw the birds but I'm sure we get a giant now and then. My biggest this year was 22-14.

TRKYHTR

I killed one several years ago in MO that was 28.2.My biggest Rio was 23. Rios just don't get that heavy. Not here anyway.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkey_slayer

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 18, 2013, 03:43:57 PM
I killed one several years ago in MO that was 28.2.My biggest Rio was 23. Rios just don't get that heavy. Not here anyway.

TRKYHTR

Guy told me the other day he killed a 35lber. I just looked at him and nodded lol. Isn't the record like 33lbs killed in ky?

Mike Honcho

I agree on the Rio's they don't get that big normally. A 20-22 lb bird is probably good size where I hunt Rio's.

My grandson took a nice Rio the other day at 24 lbs.

I've taken a 26 lb Eastern last two seasons in a row but never bigger than that yet...keep hoping!

TRKYHTR

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 18, 2013, 04:33:30 PM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 18, 2013, 03:43:57 PM

TRKYHTR

Guy told me the other day he killed a 35lber. I just looked at him and nodded lol. Isn't the record like 33lbs killed in ky?
I've had guys tell me they killed a 50#er. that is some doesn't kill many turkeys and doesn't own a scale. LOL My buddy anbd I both laugh every time we bring it up. We didn't tell the guy he was on crack. We just let him believe it. I also had a guy tell me he's killed 300-400 turkeys. He lives in CA. You couldn't legally kill that many since there has been a season. I still have never seen him sitting behind a dead gobbler. LOL

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

coyotetrpr

My biggest bird to date is 27 lbs. I have killed a few 25 pounders. I would like to say I have seen a 30 pound turkey but they all look bigger in strut.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

stinkpickle

Matt Meyer

I killed a 25lb'er back in WI a few years ago...Anything is possible

TN Beard Buster

My personal best is 26 1/4. I've also killed a 25 1/2, couple 24's and 23's. IMO, if someone kills a 30lber, it will come early in the season, before they start chasing hens all over. A breeding tom can lose upto 20% of his body weight thruout a season, just like a rutting buck.