turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choosing an affordable custom pot and peg

Started by Grant Flaming, April 18, 2013, 12:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Flaming

Lately, I have been thinking I need to get my first pot and peg. I know I can just run to Cabela's and get something for cheap, but I figure I will have a more enjoyable experience by getting a custom call. I also like the idea of supporting a small call maker who is utilizing their gift and following their passion. I understand that small call makers have to "make it" too, but, I can't really spend much money for fancy materials and extras at the moment.

What would be a good affordable option for a custom pot and peg?

Thanks,
Grant

alclark2

First pot I imagine you want slate? Lots of folks on the forum will say Lonnie Sneed hot hen slate. Look it up. I think its $30 TYD and everyone says its talks turkey. I'm planning to order one soon. As far as best bang for the buck I'd say it's what most folks will suggest. Hard to beat that price for a good call.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

irishff727

Every call I have bought on this forum ( which has been quiet a few lately) has been worth every penny spent. The call makers here stand  behind their product and go above and beyond to make sure your happy

West Augusta

Lonnie Sneed calls are the best bargain in turkey hunting.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Grant Flaming

Does Mr. Sneed have a website or page on here?

goblr77

Hankyorke

Quote from: Grant Flaming on April 18, 2013, 10:47:21 AM
Does Mr. Sneed have a website or page on here?

No, he does all orders via phone. If you search his name you'll find his number. I just got some Sneed calls an they are great.
I have bought a bunch of callers from makers on this site and none have disappointed.  Good luck

Grant Flaming

Do most of the these calls come with a striker or is that ordered separately?

Thanks for all the info guys!

jscrapmetal

Grant Flaming

I have been reading and it sounds like the Sneed Hot Hen would be a great call! I know there are endless options and it's all about what sound you want, but do you guys have any recommendations for pot and striker materials? I want to put out some real nice purrs and a just a little rasp would be good as well.

Grant

870BkWht

Im going to throw M. Yingling's name out there.  He makes a fine pot call and they are always affordable from him.  I havent had but 1 bad pot call from a call maker from this board, but the callmaker in question made it right and redeemed himself. 

If you search the classifieds section, I think you'll find the callmakers that make calls that will suit your needs as well as appealing to whatever you want from the call as far as looks go.

Hankyorke

gwa

I have several of Mike Yingling pot calls, very nice. Cactus coppers are great. I just got a dandy walnut slate call off of him. I would highly recommend his for a first custom pot call.

captin_hook

Can't go wrong with lonnie sneeds hot hen, or a call by yingling. Lots of other call makers here that make great calls as well.

Old Gobbler

Remember back in high school...who was the prettiest girl in school ? , ask 20 guys and they will all give you mostly different answers --  same thing goes with turkey calls

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon