OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler Down!

Started by jblackburn, April 17, 2013, 07:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

I got connected on a nice bird this morning here in Oklahoma.  It was a pretty short hunt, but it was fun!

I got to the farm just as day was breaking and actually sat in the truck for a few minutes listening to the radio to hear the weather.  I went to bed late and was struggling to get motivated.  I got out of the truck and owl hooted, mostly to motivate myself.  I have never heard birds roost on this end of the place . . . until today!  He hammered back about 200 yards away, on the neighbor's property.

Now, I rarely have a "normal" hunt where the bird comes off the roost and walks in, so I was actually thinking of walking off to the wheat patch I was planning on hunting.  As I was getting my stuff together he began hammering and everything and nothing, triple gobbling at the crows that were waking up!  It was at this point that I realized that could not walk away from this turkey.  I took off my vest and got back in the truck to move it farther down the field road and behind a cedar tree so he did not see it if he actually came my way.

Again, this is the part of the farm I always park, I had never hunted it.  It was light enough to see, but dark enough that I did not think he would see me.  I hurried to a cedar tree in the pasture and cut branches so I could get to the trunk to sit.  I got my decoy out and my camera equipment set up.  He continued to gobble until 6:45 or so when I heard him fly down.  I did a flydown cackle and beat an old wing I carry and he HAMMERED back at me!  I yelped a couple times on a Gooserbat Hillbilly and he gobbled again.  Soon, I saw him on top of the hill in the field.  He gobbled, strutted, then RAN toward me!  I gave a few soft yelps and soon he was at 20 yards at my jakemobile.  I was going to see if he would flog it, but he lifted his head straight up and I introduced him to Hevi number 6s through my 870 and Indian Creek, he barely flopped!

I was able to get all this on film to boot!

19 lbs, 3 oz, 9 1/4 beard and inch spurs.

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

slamman

CONGRATS NICE BIRD can't wait to see the video

Uncle Tom

Great story...sounds like you have discovered a new place to hunt. Congrats and a beautiful bird.

boomer

weave

That is awesome, congrats

tomstopper

Congrats on a good looking bird.....

Rokhal07

Good deal. Congrats on the bird

alloutdoors

Nice, looking forward to the video!

JVA54

DirtNap647

headbanger

trkycaller

Mike Honcho

Congrats...good story and pics!   Send some sunshine my way would ya!!!!!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wrangler95

very nice gobbler,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!