OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finished my Grand Slam

Started by pullit, April 17, 2013, 10:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullit

Just got back from FL where I finished my Grand Slam.
2 buddies and myself hunted in Fl this past week and all 3 of us scored.
I was hunting right in the middle of huge field and was sitting in a briar thicket with some small palms mixed in, but that is where the birds wanted to be.
Mine came in to within 7 feet, yes 7 feet but I could not get turned to shoot. I could hear him spitting and drumming and when he gobbled it about blew my hat off. He then wondered off and picked up some hens. The hens came in to your decoys but more hens came in and he could not make up his mind on which group he wanted to play with. The hens that were in front of us at about 10 yards had him fired up. Every little cluck or purr would have him gobbling but he would not come to them. They started to wonder off to my right and were about 20 yards to my right and I could see him in full strutt off to my left. He came to about 40 yards and that was it. I could see the other group of hens at about 150 yards off behind him. He turned and started back toward them still in fill strutt. When he got to approx 45 yards he turned and stuck his head up and I put my Burris FF red dot on his head and pulled the trigger. He hit the ground like someone had tied a weight to his head and never moved.
I needed this bird to complete my Grand Slam and to say I was happy would be an understatement. The bird weighed 20lb, 9.5" long beard and had 1 5/16 spurs.

tomstopper

Congrats on completing your Slam....

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

ElkTurkMan

Congrats on your bird, and on getting your slam

Rokhal07

boomer

alloutdoors

Nice bird, congrats on the slam!

slamman

congrats on your Grand Slam.  now it's time for the Royal then the World.

renegade19

weave

Tail Feathers

Congratulations on the tom and the slam! :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Limbstrutter

Way to go. I hope I'll be able to do this one day..
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4