Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Doubled up with my brother

Started by t_eagen13, April 16, 2013, 08:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_eagen13

I had some good luck today, guys. I was fortunate enough to double up on some Missouri gobblers this morning with my brother. He shot his around 7 and I shot mine at 11:00.

The morning started off with us set up on a ridge where I killed my first bird several years back. It was only about 40-45 degrees with a cool breeze and cloudy. We did not get to roost any the past few days and were just going off experience in this spot. It turned out that there weren't any birds roosted very close to us but we heard a couple gobblers on another ridge so we decided to get up and head after them fairly quickly. We got to another ridge and the two birds started to answer the calls. After the third time they answered we knew they were coming in so we set up the decoys and had to back up and find a spot to sit quickly. They came running into the decoys about 5 minutes later. I told my brother to take the first shot and I would follow him. Turns out he killed his and I missed mine!

We went after another couple gobblers in the area with no luck then about 9:45 we decided to head over to a new spot to see if we could strike one up. We were glassing on a hillside and spotted a lone gobbler in a field about 250 yards away across a creek. We called to him for about 10 minutes before he finally decided to cross the creek and head our way. We got set up and he came all the way across the field and into our decoys. He never gobbled or strutted the entire time which I thought was interesting. He got to about 35 yards and I killed him.

It was the best day of turkey hunting I've had as I got to be with my brother to kill one then he was with me when I killed. I also have never killed a bird that late in the morning so that was something new. My brother's bird weighed 24 lbs 6 oz. and mine weighed 25 lbs 4 oz. It is the biggest bird I have shot. It was a fantastic day of hunting, one that doesn't come around too often. Now we will try to get my dad a bird and I will try to get another one with my bow starting next week. Also, I am sorry but I did not have time to take pics for the contest. I had to get the birds clean and to class pretty quick. I did get one pic of me and the bird though. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

harvester

Congrats on a great bird and hunt. Good luck with the bow.

unclerick

Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

ElkTurkMan

Congrats Travis on a great memory and something you and your brother will never forget.

Moore

[