Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Called one in for my girlfriend!

Started by turkeykiller22, April 16, 2013, 05:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Last wednesday morning I took a friend hunting to some public ground and we scratched out, didnt even hear a bird. He left for class and I ran over to a private farm I can hunt that usually holds one bird a year. Walked in about 9:30 and sat on the edge of a food plot, did a series of 4 yelps on my slate call and one hammered three times. I got up and cut the distance by 150 yds and sat down again. Hit the slate call once and he was about 100yds down the hill. I grabbed my gun and ran out. Called my GF and told her I found a bird. The next morning was my birthday and we were supposed to have really bad weather rolling in. I told her we were going anyways. Got there and set up in the dark close to where they roost and did not even here a turkey... About 6:30 I decided we needed to make a move. We got up and walked down past the food plot where the turkey was the day before and he gobbled on his own 150-200yds behind us. We just eased to the ground and set the DSD up crawled to a tree 15 yds behind it and I yelped on my mouth call. He hammered and a jake yelped also. Not 10 mins goes by and he is strutting 15yds in front of us around the decoy. From where she is sitting she can shoot because there is a bush in the way so I watched him strut at 15yds for 2-3 mins before he offered a shot. Finally when he did give her a shot she smacked him right in face! Her first turkey and she killed it at 6:50! Then we got over to the bird and he was double bearded 9.25 and 3.25 inches and he had 1 1/8 in spurs on him!! Needless to say it was an awesome birthday!! Thanks Lord for such a great opportunity!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

JVA54

That's awesome tell her GONGRATS!!

dirt road ninja

Well played- congratulations and Happy birthday!

boomer

davisd9

Congratulations to her!  Sounds like a great hunt.  Happy belated Birthday!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93