Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How are things going in Eastern TN right now?

Started by buck_hunter21, April 15, 2013, 12:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck_hunter21

I'll be making the trip down to Eastern TN to hunt this weekend. How are the bird's acting right now? How's the gobbling? Henned up? Looking at the weather forecast, doesn't look the greatest but I am coming anyways.
Spill Blood

MouthCaller

Quote from: buck_hunter21 on April 15, 2013, 12:12:04 PM
I'll be making the trip down to Eastern TN to hunt this weekend. How are the bird's acting right now? How's the gobbling? Henned up? Looking at the weather forecast, doesn't look the greatest but I am coming anyways.
A week ago today I had some great action with hens involved, Lots of gobbling on roost and although the bird I was on had hens he still gobbled. Yesterday morn same bird (I assume) gobbled his head off on the roost and on the ground after flydown and I didnt hear or see a single hen. That was the same area give or take a few hundred yards so in 6 days in my case it went from gobbling with hens to gobbling and no hens. This was the Claiborne/Campbell line on hwy 63 what part of east tn are you headed?

turkey_slayer

Been pretty quiet all season. A little roost gobbling here and there. They finally broke up but seems every tom has a hen or 2 now

Bigstruttin

Been seeing lots of birds here and gobbling is slowly getting better but seems like most of the toms on the land I hunt are henned up. Just gotta know where they're going. I'm in Johnson county, what part east tn you hunting?

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Bigstruttin on April 15, 2013, 05:08:50 PM
Been seeing lots of birds here and gobbling is slowly getting better but seems like most of the toms on the land I hunt are henned up. Just gotta know where they're going. I'm in Johnson county, what part east tn you hunting?

Are you hunting around shadey valley, mtn city or laurel bloomery? Farms in that area are slammed full with birds

turkey_slayer

Quote from: warrent423 on April 15, 2013, 04:24:35 PM
Turkeys gobbling good in South Cherokee National Forest. Some with hens some not.
I've been hunting north Cherokee and its been pretty quiet other than some roost gobbling. First one I killed was alone but the other 2 had several hens. Could have killed a 4th that had a hen and Jake with him but didn't want to tag out so early. None gobbled good but the hens have been pretty vocal. Killed one across the line in Va Saturday that had 15-18 hens with him.

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

Bigstruttin

Are you hunting around shadey valley, mtn city or laurel bloomery? Farms in that area are slammed full with birds
[/quote] Yeah I'm in Neva part of mtn city. It's mostly farm land In the part of the county I hunt.

Clif Owen

MouthCaller

I need to back track a little on the previous statement I got on a bird today that was so henned up it wasnt funny. Barely even limb gobbled and only gobbled twice on the ground but boy did I see him strut his stuff at about 100 yards through the woods.

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood