turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys Trailing Our Tractor

Started by anbrown, April 15, 2013, 11:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anbrown

Has anyone ever experienced this? One of our club members was working on clearing some strip food plots between pines this weekend. It was mid day when most of the turkeys on the property have made thier way to nearby fields on and off our property. At one point the gentleman stopped the tractor and stood off the back to take a leak. To his amazement, there were several turkey following 20-30 yrds behind feeding on all the freshly turned up bugs.

I didn't believe him at first then a friend that went to meet him confirmed it! Has anyone else ever seen this? For birds that are usually so easily spooked it seems so odd. Is it possible that with other close farm fields they have learned to associate the engine sound with food? I'm hoping we can try this again and get some pictures to share.

alloutdoors

This is really pretty common in farm country. You should see them follow a manure spreader, they love those.

tomstopper

I have seen them along the woodline by the fields & as soon as the plowing was done, they would move to the fields & eat but only after the tractors/workers were gone.... There are plenty of videos out there about them chasing people down the street, jumping on cars, etc. They are some strange birds.....

MouthCaller

It kind of makes sense although it does sound strange, my uncle does some farming with corn wheat and soybeans in mississippi and he told me last year when I was down to deer hunt to just take his tractor out in the field cause he gets within 20 yards of his tractor and they dont pay any attention to it LOL I told him that was cheating  :TooFunny:

anbrown

Quote from: MouthCaller on April 15, 2013, 11:27:07 AM
It kind of makes sense although it does sound strange, my uncle does some farming with corn wheat and soybeans in mississippi and he told me last year when I was down to deer hunt to just take his tractor out in the field cause he gets within 20 yards of his tractor and they dont pay any attention to it LOL I told him that was cheating  :TooFunny:

That's really funny. They are some really strange birds.

HoggleGobble

They will also follow a tractor if you run over their nest..

anbrown

Quote from: HoggleGobble on April 15, 2013, 12:14:12 PM
They will also follow a tractor if you run over their nest..

I didn't consider that ... my buddy said they seemed very focused on eating. But the areas being mowed and cut are already fairly open as they are strips between planted pines. I think they would be too open for a hen's nest. Then again, I never would have thought they would follow a tractor around either!

DirtNap647

next primos or hs strut will be making the running tractor call

anbrown

Quote from: MrB0000M on April 15, 2013, 12:49:29 PM

I'd patent that now if you can. It would probably be a huge seller  :TooFunny:

redarrow

Somewhere I have an old video that Kamski and I took had 253 turkeys eating freshly spread manure.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: anbrown on April 15, 2013, 12:57:39 PM

:icon_thumright: ;D :TooFunny:

If you had a tough bird that just wouldn't come in, all you'd have to do is set up in the field, and have a friend drive the tractor by you at 20 yards, then shoot the gobbler :fud: when he walked by eating bugs!! :lol: :thanks: :toothy9:

surehuntsalot

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 15, 2013, 03:52:50 PM
Quote from: anbrown on April 15, 2013, 12:57:39 PM

:icon_thumright: ;D :TooFunny:

If you had a tough bird that just wouldn't come in, all you'd have to do is set up in the field, and have a friend drive the tractor by you at 20 yards, then shoot the gobbler :fud: when he walked by eating bugs!! :lol: :thanks: :toothy9:

that should work great
it's not the harvest,it's the chase