turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

No Spurs

Started by mudcreek, April 15, 2013, 07:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudcreek

Killed a nice 20 lb + Gobbler at 1:30 Saturday the 13th. 10 1/2 beard, nice and thick.  But the rascal had no spurs! Not a sign, not a bump, nothing.  When I cleaned him, he only had one testicle.  Any body else ever experience  this?

tomstopper

Nope. Personally I have heard of small bumps on some big gobblers, but never about not even a trace of some. Definitely weird IMO.

TRKYHTR

I killed a mature gobbler this year that had no spurs. My Goulds I killed only had 1 spur. Sometimes it can be genetics other times they can get broke off. Congrats on a nice gobbler anyway. He needed killin.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

chcltlabz

My first merriam had no spurs, and we killed 2 of them that year without spurs.  We've killed around 4 in that same area without spurs, so maybe it is genetic.  No bumps, wounds or anything.  Looked like hen legs.

Can't say I've ever gone so far as to look for turkey testicles though.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

redarrow

Can't say I've ever gone so far as to look for turkey testicles though.
[/quote]

Shot one a few years ago. 10 in beard,full fan,weighed about 17 pounds and had little bumps for spurs.Ain't never seen a turkeys tools or even know where to look. ???

cuppednlocked

Quote from: chcltlabz on April 15, 2013, 08:36:14 AMCan't say I've ever gone so far as to look for turkey testicles though.

C'mon Brent!  That's not the first thing you look at when you're standing over one???   :z-guntootsmiley:

870FaceLift

I've never killed one without spurs, but I have one on trail cam now without them.  He he has a thick beard, full fan, but no bumps or anything.  This pics are clear and you can see he has nothing there. 
Pass it on...

Sand Man

I killed one last year without spurs.  First I had ever seen or heard of as well until this thread.  My bird came in without another tom.  My friend killed the other bird.  They both had 10" ropes.  His bird had 1' spurs and mine had what looked more like a mosquito bite than spurs.  Very odd for a Rio.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

RIStrutStopper

The first bird I killed had a 9.5" beard, a full fan and nothing but bumps for spurs. All the other ones I've shot since had at least something.

DirtNap647

seems to be fairly common

guesswho

I've killed a a handful over the years that had no sign of a spur but good beards.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dirtnap

I have killed one with no spurs and called one for a neighbor with no spurs.  The legs were slick.  Both longbeards and both on WMA in SC. 

mudhen

I've seen maybe 10+- over the years, slick legs, no trace of a spur or a spur scale...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

turkey_slayer

Killed one without spurs and a few that had bumps but were mature and one with 1 spur but missing the other. All from the same area

WV TURKEY THUG

Id like to shoot one with no spurs that would be pretty cool to see. Never saw a gobbler with no spurs . Does anyone have a pic of one they could post up easily if not don't worry about it.