OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Today was my turn!

Started by busta biggun, April 13, 2013, 06:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busta biggun

Yesterday I posted a story about taking my 82 year old dad turkey hunting. It was an awesome hunt and one I will never forget. Today was my turn. It was a beautiful day in Kansas for a change. The birds weren't gobbling much and weren't really responding to the call. They went silent around 7:00. I just sat there patiently because I know they move through that area a lot and didn't want to scare a bunch off traipsing through the timber. Around 8:20 I hear a single gobble down in the timber. I waited a little bit and let out a few soft yelps. No gobble. So I just laid my call down and got comfortable thinking there would be another lull. Next thing I know I see just a head walking below the crest of the hill to my right. I thought it was a hen at first but it was walking towards my decoys so I just waited it out. When the bird got closer to my decoys, his tail shot up. He proceeded to strut in the morning sunlight for several minutes, taking his time. I have seen a LOT of strutting birds, but when that morning sunshine hits them just right they look like they are on fire! He twirled around as I tried to remain calm. Finally he stepped behind a bush and I got my gun up. When he walked from behind the bush I walloped him at 20 yards. Nice big, bird. 23 pounds, 10 inch beard and 3/4" spurs. Just an awesome hunt.

TRKYHTR

Congrats on a nice gobbler.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

DirtNap647

trkycaller

boomer

tomstopper

Congrats on a good bird.....

weave

Congrats !!!

Sent from a  mobile device.
Check us out on the www @

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

spur collector

Congrats on a fine longbeard.

cuppednlocked

I love this time of year!

Congratulations.

chcltlabz

Sounds like a great hunt.  Congrats.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Shakey Jake

lightsoutcalls

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings