OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A turkey on Meth??

Started by Arra, April 13, 2013, 02:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arra

I swear I have encountered the craziest turkey ever....

Last Saturday morning I set up on him on the roost and he came right to me....When he got to the 50-60 yard range he just started putting and ran off....I never moved...Didn't have a decoy out..Nothing. He ran around me 180 degrees and went back to gobbling within 5 minutes. I set up on him again and changed calls....I called him to within 30 yards but he wouldn't come over the little knoll for a shot. He walked off gobbling and I chased him around for the next two hours. I finally caught up with him and a hen in a powerline about 11 am. I got him to 60 yards once again but then they fed off....Fast forward to this morning.

He was roosted in basically the same place so I went up the power line and set up a DSD hen. After a few soft calls he was fired up but going the other way...I jumped up and cut about 150 yards off the distance. I soft called to him and scratched in the leaves...He was burning it up gobbling and coming. ..He gobbles at 100 yards and I knock the saftey off...I see him and he is running at me like something is chasing him..He is quarting at about a 45 degree angle and I know its gonna have him pass me out of gun range...I yelp and he stops long enough to gobble but keeps going. I watch him run over the hill 150 yards away and he is still gobbling. I go back to the powerline behind me and hope he will work that way....About 20 minutes later he fires off not 150 yards from me but across the creek and fence that runs through the middle of the power line....I belly crawl out and set up the dsd...He appears on the other side and sees the decoy. He starts gobbling like crazy and walking toward me....He gets to the fence 80-90 yards away and locks into strut...He didn't move out of a 20 yard spot for the next hour. Then he starts getting crazy....Two squirrels start chasing each other and he starts putting and running around....Then he just goes back into strut....He comes back to the fence and starts putting again. He goes right back into strut and starts gobbling. Finally he loses interest and starts walking down the fence....He walks about 40 yards and starts putting again. He then goes back to strutting. I lose sight of him for about 3 minutes and somehow he crossed the creek and fence. All of a sudden I see just the top of his head at 40 yards . I knock the saftey off and he starts putting over and over but then would gobble at himself putting...He went into an absoulute frenzy gobbling and putting.....He then takes off running away from me...I stand up thinking the morning is over as I watch him at a 100 yards running away when all of a sudden he whips around and starts running right back at me....At 70 yards I get the gun up and he takes flight and flys by me at 50 yards...He lands in the powerline like his butt is on fire running wide open...He runs over the hill out of sight....3 minutes later he is gobbling his brains out.....

Anyone know of any known meth labs that a turkey could get into in Franklin County Georgia??

Ive never seen anything like it.....
:turkey2: :turkey2:

strut-stopper

Wow that is crazy. Never had a turkey do anything like that. I did have some deer once come by my blind in a food plot and the big doe would snort and blow then feed for a bit. They would walk to the far end of the plot then come running back to in front of the blind to snort,blow and feed some more. Done it like 5 times.  Critters are crazy

hookedspur

:funnyturkey:  :you_rock:  Maybe Deaf in one ear ???
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Onpoint

You've gotta kill that bird

troutfisher13111

DirtNap647

tomstopper

Gumby

weave

Damn funny story right there.

Maybe he got into and old still ;)

Sent from a  mobile device.
Check us out on the www @

surehuntsalot

the sad thing is that I run into birds alot like that every year here where I hunt,they do some of the weirdest things that I have ever seen or heard of birds doing
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WV TURKEY THUG

Never saw Anything like that before. Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Gobble Nole

Sounds awesome. 

I love to hear them gobble...

Never had one gobble at himself though...

Maybe an idea for a new call.  The Gobble Puttomatic.  A gobble call that automatically putts with turkey wings on the sides.  It will be huge... 

Arra

"update"

He is no longer with us ....Now I don't have to worry about him breeding anymore hens....He responded well to my Tim Sanford Trumpet yesterday morning. He came running by again but this time I was ready ......I had to basically yell (yelp loud) to get him to stop but when he did he was 40 yards away....He is now soaking in salt water.  :funnyturkey:

ElkTurkMan

Good Deal Brandon Congrats!

RutnNStrutn