OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wider Choke for Rem 11-87

Started by FL-Boss, April 12, 2013, 09:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

I have been using Ballistic Specialties chokes from Batesville, Ar.  They are not cheap but to me they provide an
excellent HUNTING pattern with very dense/ even 20" results.  I apologize in advance I don't have photos and pellet counts...I travel a lot for work and have been very busy this spring.

pogo

I don't have a suggestion necessarily, but i am interested in the comments this gets, because yesterday I missed a nice public land Osceola that was so eager to come in that it was at 16 yards before I could shoot.  My gun. like yours, is set up for lots of hevi shot in a 10" circle at 40, but that gives me little margin of error up close.  I am wanting to widen mine as well, and I really don't need the "way out there" margin.

I am considering shooting some hevi7s out of a Carlson's extended modified choke that I use to pass shoot ducks. and compare it at 20 and 30 yards to my Indian creek 665.

FL-Boss

pogo - what you said above it exactly my point.  Many don't understand that a million pellets in a 10in at 40 yards isn't necessary the best thing for real world turkey hunting. Yes, it cool to post on the forum for a "show and tell" with others... but not hunting in my option.

I should have some results in the next few weeks - I just got a new .665 JH that I'm going to try tomorrow. Don't expect that to be much different than the .660 JH I already have tested.

Also have a Undertaker .675 that is coming... that is the one I'm interested in testing.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

OK, here's the deal.

With Lead, everything goes to hell in a handbasket between 35 and 40 yards.  Only the best combos shooting very good shells will turn great numbers at 40.  (Although the Federal Turkey Thugs seemed to break that mold a little bit this year)

With Hevi 13 or Magnum Blend, the pattern doesn't go to hell in a handbasket as quickly.

With Hevi13 #6 or Magnum Blend, a Standard .035 Full Choke, or for sure a standard .040 Extra Full Choke is all that's needed to have 100 at 40 in most guns; and with Hevi 13 #7's you will have WAY more than 100 in 10" at 40 Yards.

If you aren't playing the maximum numbers game, or the maximum distance game, try .035 to .040 of choke and see what you get at 30 and 40 Yards with HTL.

FL-Boss

I do wish they made those Federal Thugs in #7....that would be great. I plan to working my up from a .675 next week... and keep getting looser with the choke until I find what pattern I like in the 25in ring.. It may take lead shot to get there...

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Hevi 13 #7 patterns could be unbelievable at 30 yards, and still be great at 40 Yards.

Lead #7.5 or Lead #6 works good too, but not like that high-dollar stuff.

Longshanks

Sounds like the pattern you are trying to achieve will not be difficult to produce. There are a large number of chokes in the .660-.680 range that will turn that type of pattern with Pb. Shoot 30yds or less and it doesn't matter much at all what you shoot. I've shot turkeys from 11 steps on out with a gun that turns 330's in a 10 @ 40. Don't have any missing issues so its the best option for me. If missing was a consistent issue I would open up the choke. I little time at the patterning board will give what you want. 

I recently put a pure gold .670 in a beretta urika for my kids and it turns a much more open pattern with Lead,  hevi 6's and mag blends. Hevi 3/2/7's are still tight out of it..250's.                                   In my 870's a factory X-full flush mounted choke will kill turkeys to 35yds with Pb, no problem. Nice even pattern.

*my experience is the more dense patterns are more effective ,cleaner, more humane kills out to 40 yds. When I hunted with more open patterns standard procedure was to jump up and run toward the turkey right after pulling the trigger. You never knew if you were going to have to finish him off or stand on him. I like not having turkey rodeos anymore.. shooting the denser 10" patterns also produce the best 20 " patterns for me in the 30-40 yd range..