turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Done!!!

Started by mojo02, April 12, 2013, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo02

Well, so far it has been a kinda odd season in my woods.  Seems as though the birds are running a little later than usual with hens and gobbler still grouped up.  I managed to get my limit so now my main objective will be to get my 6yo nephew his first bird.

3/25/2013 - A very fast paced hunt, especially for an afternoon (lots of luck involved in this one).  I was able to ditch work a little early and made my way to our family property.  The wind was howling at 25-30mph with strong gusts, so I eased down into a little hardwood drain trying to get out of the wind.  I got setup and gave the woods a few minutes to settle down.  As soon as the wind died down for just a moment, a let out an aggressive cutt and was immediately cutoff by a gobble about 100 yards up the creek.  Just a few soft clucks and purrs and he shows at 40 yards in strut.  I let him close the distance a little but couldn't get him to break strut.  Boom, #1 of 2013 is flopping.  Doubled beards 9-1/4" & 8-1/2" with 1-1/8" spurs.

3/30/2013 - A typical roost hunt, minus gobbling in the tree.  At first light a group of birds were firing off 300-400 yards across the property line.  I decided to setup in a section of twice thinned pines where I keep the undergrowth cut.  Setup and heard a few hens roosted 100-150 yards down into a creek bottom.  A few minutes later I heard two birds fly down that hadn't made a sound from the roost.  They pitched down into the pines just over the hill from me.  A few quite yelps and I begin to hear drumming (still over the hill and out of sight).  Just a few purrs and I see his fan just over the crest of the hill.  The next 20 minutes were consumed with lots of gobbling, strutting, spitting, and drumming.  I fought the urge to make just one more call.  He slowly closed the distance into shooting range.  I sent the Nitros down range and #2 is flopping.  Beard 11-5/16" Spurs 15/16" & 1"

4/8/2013 - I decided to try a property that I haven't hunted in a couple years.  Got setup about 1800 hrs and did some light calling with no visible or audible response.  About 1900 hrs I got a little more aggressive with some excited yelps and cutts, no response.  At 1920 hrs I cutt for everything I was worth just hoping to get one to give away his location for future reference.  This time a pulled a gobble, but from a jake on the adjoining property.  At this point I packed away my pot calls with the intention of waiting and trying to pull a gobble at roost time.  Within 5 minutes I hear a subtle cluck over my left shoulder through a desnse hedge row.  I turn and get into position for a shot should a long beard be bringing up the rear.  Just as I get positioned I hear that infamous vvrrrroooom, but its is at my 2 o'clock position (120 degrees) from where I'm looking.  I slowly turn my head and shortly see a gobbler at 60 yds and closing.  Shortly after, I catch a glance of another bird strutting behind the first.  They close to within 25 yds and the strutter (#3) is flopping.  Bears 9-7/8" Spurs 15/16".

It has been a great season.  I've tagged out fairly early and watched my nephew miss his first attempt at a nice gobbler.  I have seen a ton of jakes, so next season looks promising.  Hopefully, I'll be able to add a few more to the tally as I will be doing some calling and filming for the remainder of the season.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Matt Meyer

Great Pic's and birds. Congrats

hookedspur

Congrats on a NICE Season !!!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

beagler

Never Misses

tomstopper

Congrats on the nice birds and one heck of a season......

surehuntsalot

congrats on the birds and a great season
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

DirtNap647

boomer