turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shelf Life of Shotgun Ammunition???

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, April 11, 2013, 09:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

"I read somewhere on the internet" (disclaimer) where a person claimed to have found a statement somewhere on the Federal Ammunition website, which said that ammunition has a reliable life expectancy of 10 years.

This flies in the face of numerous reports of functional WWII surplus centerfire ammunition, and old paper-hull shotshells from the 1960's and earlier.

I have had bad experiences with 10 year old .22LR Rimfire ammunition, but never with centerfire ammo or shotshells?

Let's discuss this subject a little, in light of the "collections" possessed by some of the membership here.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I don't think I have ever seen ammo go bad due to age if it was in fact stored correctly.  I have shot some old 22 shells and shot shells that I know had to be around 15yrs old.  I'm pretty certain all went bang that I remember.

spaightlabs

Functional and performing to spec aren't the same.

I've got a bunch of oooooooold ammo around.  It still goes bang as it hasn't been exposed to wild temperature swings, humidity or water.  Haven't chrono'd any of it.

Recommendation of a friend in law enforcement is that if your life might depend on it - ammo in your home defense or carry weapon - rotate it out every 6 months to be sure.  Gives you the opportunity to practice with what you will be shooting in a critical situation and provides for a margin of certainty re ammo going boom.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I understand the need for wanting fresh reliable ammo especially if I worked for law enforcement.  But 6 mo of rotating ammo would in my opinion be rediculous.  I would have no problem whatsoever even using ammo that was 2, 3, 4, or even 5yrs old if it was stored right.  Trust me if the gov't is buying 1 and 1/2 billion hollow point bullets that stuff is gonna be around for along time.  And I would bet all will shoot just like those that came off the assembly line more than likely. 

stinkpickle

I keep all my ammo stored indoors, and it only gets handled when I go hunting or shooting.  I would hunt with some of my 20+ year old rounds without hesitation.

captin_hook

Keep it dry and store it in a dry location and it'll last a loooooong time!

tomstopper

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 11, 2013, 10:20:29 PM
I keep all my ammo stored indoors, and it only gets handled when I go hunting or shooting.  I would hunt with some of my 20+ year old rounds without hesitation.
:agreed: Keep it dry and it will last forever......

Bob Giese

Just shot some some Remington 2x6 Duplex that have been in an unheated building since the 80s.
no malfunctions at all.

DirtNap647

i have even shot the old paper shells and they seem fine

CASH

I've got a partial case of Winny dove shells that's 13 years old that does just as good as the day I bought them.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

surehuntsalot

I've got shells that are over 30 years old that still go bang every time I pull the trigger
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

cuppednlocked

I regularly shoot HP competitions with Greek milsurp ammunition that is 50+ years old.  I doubt it was stored "correctly".

As a test I recovered some .30-06 ammunition from a shipwreck off NC.  The headstamps are pre 1918.  The brass was solid but weakened by the submersion in salt water.  You could clearly hear the powder shake so I pulled 2 bullets and dumped the powder.  It did not appear to have suffered from time or saltwater.  I took a match to it and it burned as you would expect.

Usahuntingear

I still have 12 guage shells that I reloaded 20 years ago, they shoot fine.
One day at a time.