OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Frustrated!

Started by MouthCaller, April 11, 2013, 07:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doublebarrel

I think your answer is in your posts itself. You said you missed him with #4's and then said you patterned a year or 2 ago with number 5's. Each shot size shoots different. Just because there is a goid pattern with 5's definately doesn't mean 4's will pattern the same. It is my opinion and just my opinion guns should be pattetned every years. Things get bumped, things loosen things change

WildSpur

Your set up us more than likely fine.  I would save your money.  Range estimation, over confidence, recoil anticipation, whatever--they are all break downs of the basics which will make you miss.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

doublebarrel

my bad. Just saw where you said you had a typo still. Weather conditions, new loads can pattern different. By that I mean your old shells and new ones, of the same kind

spaightlabs

Quote from: MouthCaller on April 12, 2013, 07:29:30 PM
Im not easily offended so I can take whatever advice or berating anyone wants to give to me because I can always learn from someone and Im sorry for the type-o guys I didnt realie that I said #4 I meant #5 HEVI #5 but just for good measure I went out today to gander mountain in Knoxville and bought some of those god awful expensive 4, 5, 6 load HEVI and a box of 2 1/4 ounce #5 Nitro and I will test these two to see if they will do better. I bought another choke to try out too with my moss 535 but it didnt fit. (hard to find chokes for 500 models in store) maybe I need to upgrade to a 835 or 935 but I would really love to move up to a SBEII for duck too...

If you have a box of Hevi 4-5-6 from enviro-metal I will eat the box it came in.  Be kind of surprisedifyou found Nitros at Gander too.

Starting to smell funny in here?

MouthCaller

would you like a pic of the boxes and receipt from where I bought them today??? It can be arranged...

MouthCaller

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 12, 2013, 08:30:36 PM
Im not easily offended so I can take whatever advice or berating anyone wants to give to me because I can always learn from someone and Im sorry for the type-o guys I didnt realie that I said #4 I meant #5 HEVI #5 but just for good measure I went out today to gander mountain in Knoxville and bought some of those god awful expensive 4, 5, 6 load HEVI and a box of 2 1/4 ounce #5 Nitro and I will test these two to see if they will do better. I bought another choke to try out too with my moss 535 but it didnt fit. (hard to find chokes for 500 models in store) maybe I need to upgrade to a 835 or 935 but I would really love to move up to a SBEII for duck too...

If you have a box of Hevi 4-5-6 from enviro-metal I will eat the box it came in.  Be kind of surprisedifyou found Nitros at Gander too.

Where do I send this box?

FL-Boss

mag blends are all over .. I bought a box at Gander yesterday.  Now... #7 HEVI... have to order those.

MouthCaller

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 12, 2013, 09:17:34 PM
mag blends are all over .. I bought a box at Gander yesterday.  Now... #7 HEVI... have to order those.
Why would you use #7 it just seems too small...

spaightlabs

Quote from: MouthCaller on April 12, 2013, 08:54:54 PM
Quote from: spaightlabs on April 12, 2013, 08:30:36 PM
[/quote

Where do I send this box?

Y'all gonna be eatin' that box at yo house. That there is 5-6-7...
And them ain't Nitros.  Them is Remingtons.

The box will go down better with a sauce.

ziggy

100$+ on completely unnecessary stuff.  everybody likes to rush out and buy new/different stuff when they don't kill the prey they're after, but no one likes to look at themselves at realize what the real problem is.  "40-50" yards is too far to shoot a turkey reliably, period.  i'd wager from the sound of things that at least one of your birds were farther then 50 yards anyway.  stop buying all that crap and get back to basics.  practice shooting your gun without flinching and get the bird 30 yards or less.
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

Tom Foolery

Quote from: MouthCaller on April 12, 2013, 09:21:58 PM

That's what you are shooting in your Mag Blends, about a 1/4oz of 5's, 1/4oz of 6's and the rest 7's.

MouthCaller

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 12, 2013, 09:33:31 PM
Quote from: MouthCaller on April 12, 2013, 09:21:58 PM

That's what you are shooting in your Mag Blends, about a 1/4oz of 5's, 1/4oz of 6's and the rest 7's.
Its not straight #7 tho and I was in a hurry when I picked these up and I was thinking they were 4 5 6 not 5 6 7 I didnt really look closely at them before I bought them. Everyone as talking about re patterning and I only have 2 shells left of these #5 hevi's so I thought Id try something else when I couldnt find any in Knox (I originally bought the #5's online)

Tom Foolery

Nothing at all wrong with the Mag Blends and you should get a great pattern with them but don't discount the 7's as they are very lethal on birds.

I missed a tom and a coyote last season back to back days.  I checked my pattern and sure enough my sights were off, I had snagged them on something and almost ripped them off my gun.

Good luck the rest of season.

FL-Boss

As for HEVI #7... research the forum... you will see.  It's not like the #7 "dove loads" most people new to turkey loads think about.    It's not too small...knockdown power is the same.... just a lot more shot and margin for error.  Again,,, use the search.... check your POA, and POI... get to know your gun.

MouthCaller

Shooting some dove loads instead of any of these turkey loads should tell me if the sights are off which I dont think they are... Guys I didnt go out and buy that today thinking this is going to be some sort of magic and solve a problem I do think it was me on the first shot but the second two misses I felt comfortable with and I just didnt feel like it was me. I obviously dont know what nitro's actually are tho Ive seen these nirto turkey loads from remington before for years and when I heard nitro I assumed thats what they were I can see what assuming made of me...