turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Interesting injuries on harvested birds

Started by renegade19, April 11, 2013, 03:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade19

Posted a story and pic of the bird I killed this morning that looked like he had been worked over pretty good.  Got me to wondering about other birds that guys killed that had been beat up or had interesting injuries. First bird I ever killed had just recieved a butt whoopin and had a nice puncture wound in his breast.  Any stories?

2much2loud

Shot a gobbler one year that had copper plated 4's in the breast... Act like nothing was wrong

mnturkey

I shot a gobbler about 4 or 5 years ago that had a deformed leg.  I saw him coming from about 300 yds away and could tell he was walking funny.
When I shot him and looked at the leg it was about 3 inches shorter then the other leg.
Also shot one with the fan shot away

You can see the tail feathers on this one are missing
SEMPER FI

guesswho

Killed a lot that had been shot before.  Also seen a lot of fighting injuries.   

I killed this one last year in Kentucky, I have no idea what caused his injury but it was pretty brutal.

Killed this one two or three years ago who had been shot in the wing.  It had healed over and still has a shot in the wing bone.  It's beside the uninjured bone for comparison.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

renegade19

redarrow

Called one in for my BIL that had lead shot in his butt and copper plates in the right wing.I shot one a few years ago that was underweight with most of his breast feathers torn out from fighting. He had a 10.5 in. beard but no spurs to fight with.

FullChoke

I shot a 2 year old a few years ago that had 3 deep, parallel scratches all across his breast. My guess was that he had narrowly escaped an attack from a bobcat.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Gooserbat

Killed one in Missouri a few years back that had like a mangled foot with something like a big wart on it.  killed a few that was caring shot that wasn't mine.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

calebb

Killed this bird a few years back. had no idea there was anything wrong with him until I reached down and grabbed a hold of his legs. Didn't seem to hinder him too much. Fishing line through and a stick through the leg and still chasing hens!

guesswho

That's amazing.  I believe hens would have been the last thing on my mind.  Truth be known a hen was probably some how responsible for his predicament to start with.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ccleroy

renegade19

Quote from: guesswho on April 11, 2013, 06:15:47 PM
That's amazing.  I believe hens would have been the last thing on my mind.  Truth be known a hen was probably some how responsible for his predicament to start with.
Ain't they always?

tomstopper

They are definitely the toughest birds ever IMO.

Rockhound

I killed one a few years back on the ground in the dark. I didn't even know if it was a gobbler or not. Just knew it was injured. We had bad tornadoes the night before and it had got blown out of the tree and broken both legs at the hips. It turned out to be a gobbler

Onpoint

I've killed several that had been gouged up pretty good. Last year I killed one that had been shot that same day. The bird was just under a hill and poked his little head up and that's all I could see and BAM. When I got up to him I noticed a skinned up place on his wing and top of his leg. He has about 10 pellets in that area. I know he had to have been shot that day cuz that was the first day of season. I killed another one last year that had a HUGE swelled up middle toe. It was as big around as my thumb and full of infection. I don't know if he had been bit by a snake or what.