OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First time guiding

Started by fallhnt, April 11, 2013, 01:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

An outfitter friend of mine asked me if I wanted to help with guiding some bowhunters for the early archery season out west this spring and so after some thought I was all in.After a couple close calls we were ready for our morning hunt.My hunters son had a hard time getting up becouse he and I had stayed up to watch Duck Dynasty the night before.Now the pressure is on due to running late.I got all of us set with a minute to spare.I heard drumming from the roost after I was in the blind with "dad".Well after fly down we have a incoming strutter."Dad" was in total BTDT mode,been there done that.He let that bird mount up on my DSD hen and shot him after he slide off the decoy.That is something I have never seen because they get a Rage stuck in them before they get a chance to have fun.Well dads bird is down and after the hunt his son had a tail to tell too.He had birds mounted up on two of my hens.He hit air at the shot because the bird was strutting and he shot high only cutting off a couple feathers.A few minutes latter he had four more longbeards come in and didn't shoot because he had feathers.You got to hand it to him for that.They had a great hunt Dad got his first ever bow kill anything,his son got a bird and his daughter shot a bird and a coyote.I was also able wrap a tag around the leg of my 100th bow kill turkey.I have two more tags for home but I can't top that hunt of a life time.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Matt Meyer

Sounds like it was a lot of fun
Congrats on the 100th bird

spur collector

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

tomstopper