OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bearded hen

Started by ILHUNTER, April 11, 2013, 12:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILHUNTER

If legal where you hunt and you had the option, would you kill a bearded hen?

BBD

Yes it's legal, no I wouldn't  :gobble:

redarrow

In the fall yes. I would be concerned with losing a nest full of eggs in the spring though.

whaler

no. Passed a few up. Gobblers were usually around so didn't want to kill a hen and ruin a chance at a tom.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

GOOSESLAYER

nope pass a few up every spring, some nice pencil ropes also

headbanger

renegade19

Not in the spring.  Maybe if i hunt the fall again.

ILHUNTER

I will have to agree with you guys. I have 6 hens hanging around with 1 real nice Tom and I was just wantign to see what everyone would do if given the chance.  She would make a nice mount, but I think I would rather let her go to take a chance in having more turkeys in the future.

howl

Sure would. A hen can be more of a trophy than a gobbler at times. I've thought that more than once after killing a gobbler that made the poor choice of following a mouth hen around.

mnturkey

I had the chance once and did not, the tag went unfilled that year.
Though if I was thinking about mounting the bird I migh once as a trophy.
That hen will bring in quite a few babies that will make for some good hunting in the future.
SEMPER FI

lonnie sneed jr.

I have had chances on a bearded hen 2 times in the Spring. 2 times I have passed and will pass again if I have the chance.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

frank1969

I have  once for the wall and that is it

firstflight111

I did once in the spring because she had triple beards good for 17 and 3/4 in
would i do it again, yes i have to many hens around now .and we shoot them in the fall too .

CUPPED AND COMMITTED

jacannon