OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boys first reality check

Started by jakesdad, April 08, 2013, 05:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

After getting a nice buck on his first youth deer hunt,we headed out for my sons first turkey hunt.Had some birds patterned and the first day(4/6)we set up and had 2 gobblers and 8 hens about 40 yds in front of us putting on a show.They ended up about 5 yds behind us(we were sitting by a row of old round bales)and all the gobbling and he really enjoyed it.The next morning we set up the popup blind near where they come out of the timber and into the field.Had 3 hens within 10 yds and 3 gobblers come out.2 circled out in front of us and came within about 15yds of the blind,got him lined up and BOOM!.......miss.Jacked in another shell and before I could correct him......BOOM!Miss #2 on the same bird at 15 yds.A common mistake made by the youngins,he didnt have his head down on the stock trying to watch what was going on and shoot at the same time.After some tears and a few hugs I told him it was ok,everybody misses and we'll get after em' again.Once we got home he was downstairs in the basement with his unloaded gun sitting on the tripod "practicing" on one of our decoys."look dad i'm practicing keeping my head down so I dont miss anymore".Made me proud to see he cares enough at just 6 yrs old to take it serious enough to practice so he can do well.We'll get em' buddy!!!!!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

guesswho

Practicing, good for him.  I always felt lucky for having the opportunity to miss, a lot of kids never get that chance.  Sounds like he has excepted the miss in stride and is preparing for the next chance.   

And tell him he has a long long way to go before he catch's me in the number of misses :-X ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MouthCaller

Im 26 and Ive missed twice today and felt like I needed a hug and a good cry after it was over...

tomstopper

That's awesome that at six he knows and cares about fixing what went wrong. You should feel proud b/ c it sounds like he is going to be a responsible young turkey hunter. I hope he connects next time. He deserves it. Good luck.......

FL-Boss

Quote from: MouthCaller on April 08, 2013, 06:09:12 PM
Im 26 and Ive missed twice today and felt like I needed a hug and a good cry after it was over...

first laugh I had all day  :toothy12:

DirtNap647

jakesdad

I told him that there were only 2 kinds of turkey hunters that never miss................liars and ones who never go!!!He's VERY competitive so he'll do what he can to get better at most everything he does.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

steveo

Been huntin thunder chickens for 30yrs and have missed my share !!!! after all is said and done they are the ones I look back on and smile it ain't all about the killing. Some misses my fault others still to this day cant figure em out ? LOL just being out and getting a chance to hunt is what I look forward to most of all, my daughter and I have shared a bunch of great hunts and at days end with no kill or after a miss it has been rewarding ! great to hear he isn't competitive when hunting seems some base it all on numbers killed. Get right back out and get em ! :fud:

Eric Gregg

That young boy is on a great path to becoming a man.
We make mistakes, but we chalk them up, learn from them, and get after it!
That is the kind of people that make great leaders.

Hope those toms mess up and give him another chance. I have a strong feeling they won't be as lucky to get away the next time :fud: :newmascot:

Dray223

In my 20 years of chasing these birds ive only missed once... or twice. Okay maybe 14 or 15 times MAX! happens to us all

BrowningGuy88

I have missed only 1. I have shot a bunch and required a follow up. I missed the first gobbler I ever called in by myself. Talk about a let down. I called him off the roost and he hit the ground and got within 10 yards of me - AND MY GUN WAS IN MY LAP!!!! Talk about a rookie mistake. Tried to quick draw him and missed him once a 7 steps, once at 11 steps, once again at about 9 steps, and then missed again as he lifted to fly! I killed him the next morning though...

Muzzy61

Way to man up!   I could learn from him.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

FullChoke

Tim,

Tell him that everyone on your team is confident that he will keep his head down from now on and become a great turkey hunter! We are pulling for you, son.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.