turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nathan's first

Started by flintlock, April 08, 2013, 12:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

I took a young man from church out for his first turkey hunt this weekend for youth in Ky.  No birds gobbling in the am or at noon, but we found a few around 5pm about a mile away on an adjoining property.   

I had them gobbling good about 1/4 mile on yet another property that we didn't have permission on.  As I was working them and determining our plan of attack, 2 other gobblers flew across the creek to us and HERE THEY CAME!  I told him to get ready and DON'T MOVE, but as they hit about 45 yards he moved and they busted him and bolted!   Part of the learning process....

We crossed the creek and moved up the other hill and were just across the other creek from the 2 gobblers prob 150 yards.  I started in on them to see if they might cross the creek and boy were they HOT!  I had hoped for just this sort of hunt for him and his eyes were WIDE and his smile constant.   In about 10 minutes I looked over and saw 2 jakes coming in from the side.  When they got to about 40, I was whispering for him to freeze and just wait, but he moved again and they saw him and snapped their heads up on alert.   We had patterned his gun so we knew he was ok, so I gave him the go ahead but he couldn't see their heads for some bushes.  As they started to leave the shot rang out and he hit the bird, but not fatally.  He ran into the cedars, so I jumped up and was after him full-tilt. 

I forgot how out of shape and old I am, but somehow made it 1/2 way up the hill and stopped to listen for him.  As I was listening I heard Nathan shoot back down the hill as the bird had doubled back (or I ran past him).  He had his first turkey and boy was he every happy!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck if you are out and about.
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

tomstopper

Nice. Congrats to Nathan on his first bird....

Wrangler95

:you_rock:

Very nice going,congrats!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

congrats on his first turkey

Hognutz

Way to go, Wess.. Nathan will remember this day as long as he lives. Nice. I love stories with happy endings!!

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

gophert

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

boomer

catdaddy

Muzzy61

Congratulation, nice job by all.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

DanT

surehuntsalot

congrats to the young man
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

alloutdoors

Gold Spur

Congrats to the both of you on a job well done... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!