Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

GA double beard down!

Started by Ricochet, April 08, 2013, 11:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Saturday's hunt:  I get to my favorite west GA listening spot and hear 3+ gobblers off property first thing.  So, I took note of them but waited to hear other birds on my side and boom I hear 3 or 4 on the roost near by.  Game on!  So, I go to this little food plot that has a trial through some thick small pines (good concealment) and proceed to get in close.  I get to where the hardwoods are at the end/edge of the pines and go up the hill into the hardwoods about 20 yards...it looked like a good setup.  I'm close but I have good concealment with the pines.  I can hear them good - there is a bunch of them all together.  I do a fly down cackle and they hammer back, I did a crow call they hammer (because the real crows were getting them to gobble) back so it sure seems like game on to me.  They hit the ground and I crank it up - yelping, cutting hard!  Then I hear some more gobbling further away to my slight left and above them.  Hmmm!  Here comes some more gobblers.  Then I hear someone else crow call to them on the other side of them (probably next to my vehicle) and they gobble like crazy.  I was like great it's that other dude again (his crow calling is awful).  However, I knew I was in a better position.  So, then I hear 1 of the first group of gobblers fire off and it sounded like he was headed my way.  Then those far off gobblers gobble a lot closer and he must have turned around.  Then I see and hear those 3 gobblers on the opposite ridgeline and they start making their way to me.  I get ready as they walk down the ridge in front of me and they are moving to my left.  They cross a little creek out of sight and I soft call to them and direct the calling behind me...I hear 1 of them drumming and then I see them coming over a small hill toward me!  I need to reposition because they are even further to my left - I'm watching their every move and I finally get a chance to move.  I actually dropped my Trigger Stick and the 3rd gobbler sort of sees me but luckily he doesn't alarm putt hard and bug out.  This whole time I think my camera is recording, so I call to them one last time at less than 40 yards, they stop and they all hammer back!!!  It was awesome!  I pick out what appears to be the boss of the 3 (they were not strutting - just walking fast) - it's the gobbler in the middle and he steps out into my shooting lane and BOOM! He should not have done that - he dead!  ;)  So, the other 2 gobblers didn't bug out and I call to them but they are watching their buddy flop and don't come close enough.  So, I decided 1 bird was enough and get up and they bug out - 1 runs and 1 flies away.  It was an awesome hunt and it was a real nice gobbler (my first double bearded gobbler)!   :D

Gobbler's stats:
Killed on Saturday, April 6th, 2013 at 7:25AM in west GA
Weight = 18.2 lbs.
Beard #1 = 9 inches
Beard #2 = 6 inches
Spurs = 1 inch

Cave Spring-20130406-00232 by RicochetFX4, on Flickr

Cedartown-20130406-00235 by RicochetFX4, on Flickr

Cave Spring-20130406-00234 by RicochetFX4, on Flickr

Cave Spring-20130406-00233 by RicochetFX4, on Flickr
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

ElkTurkMan

unclerick

Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

t_eagen13

harvester