turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missing....

Started by redleg06, April 08, 2013, 10:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveo

LOL, yep were all human ! happens every day, me it was last year 6 set ups bird gobbling hard finally heading my way eyes searching.........up pops his head from behind a bush 10yards :OGani: slight adjustment of gun, birds putts starts moving off and click ??? ohhhhh nooooo hes moving faster now ! panic sets in rack a new shell in fire ,pump again fire and watch him fly away !!!!!!. After this is over I sink to the ground catch my breath and laugh :TooFunny: the last two rounds my head wasn't even down and the first one when I loaded up in the morning I had not pushed the slide all the way forward !!!!!!!! LOL.

howl

Missing just means you were really enjoying yourself.

Mike Honcho

Did the same thing three years ago...make it worse I was shooting a semi auto and it jammed...bird stood there a couple of seconds while I yanked on the trigger for second shot in vain.  That really made my day...Franchi 912 is no longer mine. 

Oh well, have a Dos Equis and Stay thirsty my friend

870FaceLift

Sorry to hear about the miss, Redleg.  That does stink...   >:(

I, too, have experienced misses - and most recently, "the Benelli Click."  Last year was tough hunting in my part of OH.  One of the last days of the season, I had sat down and worked a bird first thing in the morning and realized I hadn't loaded my gun.  Not sure why I forgot, I guess I was just in a hurry.  Anyhow, I tried to load the autoloader quietly and slowly -big mistake.  The bird finally came into range and "CLICK."  No going back at the point...

Get back at em.   :fud: 

I want to see pics of him on here in a few days!
Pass it on...

Woodsman4God

I missed one 2 years ago, sort of, problem was I might have gotten him if I had remembered to load my gun. I think that is even worse. Get one in range pull the trigger and it goes click. Missing happens but forgetting to load is even worse IMO

BrowningGuy88

I have missed and only missed one. I have killed 33 birds as of today in the 7 years I have hunted solo. Killed some more as a kid hunting with my folks. This doesn't count probably 12-15 others that I have played cleanup on for young hunters or guests. So I have shot around 48 - 53 birds and I am 24. I missed only the first one I ever called in. I emptied my gun and didn't even really scare him badly. I killed him the next morning.

I am glad for that miss - it reminds me daily to keep my head down and squeeze the trigger. That miss has helped me more than any other shot I have ever taken. I stopped shooting at the head and started shooting the neck/waddles and hold my head down on the gun. I have also passed up on shots that I wasn't sure of because of watching the missed gobbler and the several others and myself have wounded and I finished off run/fly off. I hate seeing a gobbler roll and bounce back up - makes me sick to my stomach! I would much rather miss under 10 yards where I know it is a clean miss!

redleg06

Quote from: Daman on April 09, 2013, 11:31:22 AM
I have missed and only missed one. I have killed 33 birds as of today in the 7 years I have hunted solo. Killed some more as a kid hunting with my folks. This doesn't count probably 12-15 others that I have played cleanup on for young hunters or guests. So I have shot around 48 - 53 birds and I am 24. I missed only the first one I ever called in. I emptied my gun and didn't even really scare him badly. I killed him the next morning.

I am glad for that miss - it reminds me daily to keep my head down and squeeze the trigger. That miss has helped me more than any other shot I have ever taken. I stopped shooting at the head and started shooting the neck/waddles and hold my head down on the gun. I have also passed up on shots that I wasn't sure of because of watching the missed gobbler and the several others and myself have wounded and I finished off run/fly off. I hate seeing a gobbler roll and bounce back up - makes me sick to my stomach! I would much rather miss under 10 yards where I know it is a clean miss!

Dang man, you're a stone cold killer

Unfortunately for me, I've missed them before and I'm sure this wont be the last one either... just part of it. 

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: redleg06 on April 09, 2013, 12:51:50 PM
Quote from: Daman on April 09, 2013, 11:31:22 AM

Dang man, you're a stone cold killer

Unfortunately for me, I've missed them before and I'm sure this wont be the last one either... just part of it.

Just fortunate enough to have had a great mentor and some good private land to hunt.

I will probably miss in the morning since I bragged today!

runngun

Yeah I hunted with an outfitter once and a guy in camp missed a turkey that morning. Another hunter kept asking "how do you miss a turkey?" "They are right there on top of you!!!"  Further stating "I ain't NEVER missed a turkey!!!
Later that evening that same guy walked back into camp, with his head hung low......
He found out, HOW TO MISS A TURKEY!!!

Good Luck and May God Bless
Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.