OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Missing....

Started by redleg06, April 08, 2013, 10:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg06

Is there any worse feeling, for a turkey hunter, than missing one!?!?!

I've been hunting this particular bird for about a week now (actually was trying to let my brother in law kill him) and he hasnt been gobbling on or off the roost for the last 3-4 days...Always got hens with him and he lives in some pretty rough terrain. Long story short, I get to go solo (Prefer it that way when I got a bird that really NEEDS to be killed) this morning and sure enough , he gobbles for me a few times on the roost....just enough to let me know where he is. He's on the far side of a creek that's a little too big to cross and he's got hens. I end up making a huge loop around him and get in front of them. We got in some thick stuff and I could hear them walking in the leaves and getting closer so I get set up and I sit down and scratch the leaves a little and purr and one of his hens answers almost immidiately and comes right in and here he comes right behind her in full strut.   We're in some thick stuff and he's not coming out of strutt but is about to follow the hen on off when he finally gets a little clearing for me to shoot (still in strutt but it's now or never) and i'm not sure if I jerked or was just kind of watching "the show" but when I pulled the trigger, all I see is the tree right beside him take nearly the full load of my 20gauge at 5 yards...   :P :P :P

He flew off so I cant imagine him being hurt much if at all. At that range, it would have cleaned him up pretty good.

Cant STAND to miss one like that...

Gooserbat

Done the same thing only different last year.  Look at the bright side, you can hunt him again.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

you work so hard to get them into range and when ya miss there isnt a worse feeling

contagious

First miss for me in 15 years,full show 150 gobbles, hit the ground and was in the clear cut with two hens.Strutted for 15 minutes at 40-45 steps,starting to work away, and i gave him a barrel, just to watch him fly away.!!!!! Yes it is a sick feeling,and will cost me sleep for the next few nights.

On a good note,my hunting buddy took a very nice bird a couple of miles away. 10.5 beard,1 3-8 spurs.!!!!

Spring_Woods

Spooking one is a worse feeling IMHO.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

turkey_slayer

Shoot at enough and you will miss every now and then. Does give ya that sick feeling in the bottom of your gut

redleg06

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 08, 2013, 11:28:52 AM

Missing is worse for me because it means it was all over but the crying and I just couldnt close the deal....

tomstopper

Quote from: redleg06 on April 08, 2013, 11:32:22 AM
Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 08, 2013, 11:28:52 AM

Missing is worse for me because it means it was all over but the crying and I just couldnt close the deal....
:agreed: Its alot of heart brake due to the fact that it was so close to being a done deal (calling worked & setup was good) & its all due to a miss that lets him walk IMO. Keep hunting him & hopefully you will connect.....

gophert

If you've never missed, you haven't hunted enough.  Been there, done that, got the miss on video!

wvcurlytop

Nothing makes me feel worse than missing.  And it's true, shoot at enough birds and you'll miss sooner or later.  If you're anything like me, you remember the misses as much as the hits..  They haunt and torture me.   :character0029:

You have no choice but to try again, as turkey hunters don't quit!  Hold'er in there next time!!

Eric Gregg

Watched Will Primos miss one on one of the "Truth" videos.
Bird was too close and the shot went right past his head.

turkey_slayer

I've missed 10 and all but one was less than 10 yards except 1. The 1 busted me and I rushed my shot. I remember everyone vividly. Going through old photos I see pics of birds I killed but can't remember where or when. The misses I remember well

Gold Spur

I feel for you redleg. I've done that a few times myself. Stay after him, hopefully he'll give you another chance.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

birdyhunter

There is a worse feeling and it happened to me today. Bird and 15 yards and all the gun does is click.....forgot to load my dern gun!!!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Onpoint

Quote from: birdyhunter on April 08, 2013, 11:58:20 PM
There is a worse feeling and it happened to me today. Bird and 15 yards and all the gun does is click.....forgot to load my dern gun!!!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
I done that a couple years ago. That does suck.