OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jakes and flock dynamics

Started by Grant Flaming, April 08, 2013, 10:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Flaming

A question about group dynamics: I have been watching a group of about 12 or 13 turkeys. As far as I can tell, there is one mature tom and three or four jakes. When their feet hit the ground the hens lead the group, the tom follows behind by a ways, and the jakes all follow the tom as they go in and out of full strut. I have seen the tom strut, but the jakes seem to be showing off much more.

Can a pack of jakes be the "dominant bird" in a group of turkeys that includes a mature bird?

DirtNap647

yes jakes can be the dominat bird

Improvinghunter101

Yes they can be.  Last year there were 3 jakes that scared off two toms.  Must have been super jakes.  I had this gobbler fired up and he came out in the field strutting his stuff with another partner.  Next thing I know is I can hear some birds running around behind me and the gobbler goes out of strut and walks the other way.  I couldn't even tell these were jakes.  No beards, no gobbles, nothing.  Figured it out later on when I was driving out and saw them along the road and they gobbled at the truck.  I couldn't believe it.

TRKYHTR

Jakes can team up against a mature gobbler but I'll guess when it's time to breed the big boy will be doing it.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Grant Flaming

So if I want that tom to come to me and not just those jakes would a breeding hen/jake setup be a good bet?

Thanks for the info guys!