turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 510 Mini and My son's first bird

Started by Chilly, April 08, 2013, 07:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilly

We had a hell of a morning this past saturday.  While settling in the blind a bird gobbled right behind us on the other side of the river.  An hour later we had 2 long beards, 3 jakes and 7 hens in the field with us.  We had the decoy mover set up to add some life to our setup.  One of the longbeards broke from the flock and came towards us.  He then sees the jakes move in on the hens when he left and runs back to them.  The closest he came was 50 yards.  Landon had some serious patience.  He got to see a lot on this hunt.  Birds were gobbling,strutting, fighting, breeding all out in front of us at 150 yards. Two jakes got ran out of the group and started feeding away.  I walked the decoy about 10 yards towards them and then turned her around and made her walk back towards the blind.  They raised their heads and came running.  They stopped just outside the food plot at 33 yards.  Landon eased his gun up and shot free handed.  He dropped the bird in his tracks and he never flopped his wings.  I had a very excited 6 yr old on my hands.  I was pretty tore up myself.  To say I was proud was an understatement.  To see the look on his face was unforgetable.  It did not matter to him that his bird was a jake.  It could have had a 12" beard and 2" spurs and it would not have been any different for him. 
Landons Jake was 16lbs and had a 5" beard.

Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

SgtUSMC

Hayudog

Onpoint

beagler

Never Misses

chatterbox

Fantastic! Was that the setupwith the Fed #7's? and the stock full choke?
I'm gonna run that setup with 3" fed heviweight 7's for my boy's gun.
Congrats to him on a great bird!

Chilly

Quote from: chatterbox on April 08, 2013, 07:42:05 PM
Fantastic! Was that the setupwith the Fed #7's? and the stock full choke?
I'm gonna run that setup with 3" fed heviweight 7's for my boy's gun.
Congrats to him on a great bird!
Yes, he was shooting the factory full and the HW 7's 1 1/8oz loads...

steveo

redarrow

Landon "You are the man" Congrats to you both. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Sand Man

That smile says it all.  Good on you dad for getting him out in the turkey woods!   :you_rock:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

gophert

SWEET!!!!!!   Congrats to both of you.

3seasons

Thats awesome,  You can tell he really enjoyed the hunt. 

Chilly

He has been drawing jake and gobbler pictures every day since he shot his bird.  Him and his little brother have my decoys scattered all over the basement with blinds set up in every corner.  They make a shoot noise and throw empty shotgun hulls at the decoys.  It is hilarious to watch them play turkey hunting.
His 7th birthday is tomorrow so I hope to have his fan and beard mounted before his b-day party on friday. 

gobblergls

Glad the mini came through.  Congrats, Dad and son, for a team effort.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase