turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

these boys and girls where in my plot yesterday

Started by scoot12, April 07, 2013, 08:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoot12

Did some hinge cutting today for my property and did a card pull,  look forward to two weeks.  Scoot

tomstopper

ALfwlmth

Scoot.
This may be a dumb question, but what is "hinge" cutting?

scoot12

Hinge cutting is cutting through a tree a little over half way and pushing tree over or letting gravity take it so if falls to ground with tree is still attached together,  it stays alive for years and provides cover,  bedding areas and brings browse from tree top to the deers level,  it also lets sunlight in so new growth can start. You can also do it to steer deer where you want them to go.  Scoot

ALfwlmth

Gotcha. While I've go you on the subject, I'm guessing we're talking "trash" trees, but what would be the age, or size I would be considering.  Thanks for sharing this insight.  My wheels are churning for what to now.

scoot12

lightsoutcalls

Sweet!  Looks like a great place to leave some feathers.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

darron

hinge cutting also provides great nesting areas for turkeys too! I hinge cut a little every year in my sanctuary located in the middle of my property. Mostly junk trees like maples, ironwood, etc. I personally don't do anything real big. If I look up and vision a turkey roosting in it I don't cut it LOL