OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nesting in Georgia already??

Started by Bustabeak, April 07, 2013, 02:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

I know it's probably different in the different areas of the US, but is it normal for to see a full clutch of 13 eggs on April 7 in Georgia? I walked up on her sitting on her nest next to a creek. I am under the impression that they lay one or so eggs per day, and that generally hens may mate throughout their laying process, but one male could fertilize all the clutch.

My questions are:
1. since we spooked her off her nest, will she return to the nest to continue incubation?
2. Lets just say she laid her last egg yesterday (basing it off of average of 12 and there were 12 eggs in the nest) and she's laid an egg per day. That would put her first egg being laid on March 25. Our season opened here March 23. How long do you think it takes for the hen to lay her first egg after she breads? I know this would make an old tom happier to come into a hen call, but isn't it way early for hens to start incubation here in Georgia?

slamman

that is cool.  stick a trail camera on it and get pictures through the entire process.

bullet355

Yes she will come back to her nest.
I don't know how long from mating until she lays her first egg maybe someone else on here knows.
I don't think its too early, I saw a hen with polts the last week of April last year in Alabama.
I think it would be cool to put a trail cam on, but I would turn off the flash it might spook her at night.