turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#3 and #4 tagged out Tennssee

Started by catman529, April 07, 2013, 12:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Yesterday 4-5-2013 I spent hours on a flock of birds that would not come to calls. Hens yakking and fighting and jakes gobbling. Seemed more like pre-season behavior. Finally began the long tedious sneak, gradually closed the distance, spotted a strutting tom in the group, and by a little after 1 pm I was sneaking out the edge of the woods into tall reeds around the edge of a field where the tom was strutting with a hen. I ambushed him from in the reeds at between 35 and 40 yards. 

Bird #4 came today 4-6-2013 at 3pm, he was alone and came to the call, but he came in from the extreme right and I didn't feel comfortable swinging the gun so I let him walk, circled around and re-setup on him, and called him in again, this time smacking his head as it popped up from below a slight embankment.

I killed bird #1, 3, and 4 on the same WMA, and bird #2 on another WMA in the same county. Early season public land birds are not as pressured, and I found some spots that did not get much traffic from other hunters. I called in all but #3 with a homemade tube call, but also used a wingbone a little during the past 2 hunts. I hunted 4 times and killed on every hunt, which is crazy I don't know how I did that.

Season was open 1 week and I never would have guessed I would tag out in that time. Been blessed with a very successful season, but it is also bittersweet because it's over so quickly. I might relieve some pain and call in a bird or two for a friend or two.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Good job!  Way to leave no tag unfilled.

jakebird

Congrats on an awesome season! The fact you used homemade calls and did it all on public land just makes it that much sweeter!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

captin_hook

You had a great season. Congrats. :icon_thumright:

mtsrunner

That is impressive. I would hate to see what you could do on a private farm with truly unpressured birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alloutdoors

Sound like a pretty good season, congrats!

Gold Spur

Congrats on some awesome birds...
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

renegade19

Dang Dude!  As my buddy would say, "Save some for seed!".   ;D  Good work there.

barry

You didn't waste any time that's for sure.
Post a pic of your tube call, all I use is home made tubes as well.

catman529

Quote from: barry on April 07, 2013, 11:08:08 AM
You didn't waste any time that's for sure.
Post a pic of your tube call, all I use is home made tubes as well.

darn2ten

Congrats man, way to getter done!

weave

That is awesome, way to get it done

Sent from a  mobile device.

Check us out on the www @

slamman

Rio Fan

You took care of business this spring, congrats on an awesome season.  :icon_thumright:

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt