turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hen and strutter deek placement

Started by BlakeJ, April 06, 2013, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

You hear different opinions on how far to place decoys when setting up, just wondering what you guys like to do.

I like to put them about 20-30 yards away, with the hen facing away from me and the strutter facing towards me. I also like to offset them a little compared to where I think the birds will come from, that way I'm not in his line of sight right on the other side of the decoys.

captin_hook

Quote from: BlakeJ on April 06, 2013, 06:09:33 PM
You hear different opinions on how far to place decoys when setting up, just wondering what you guys like to do.

I like to put them about 20-30 yards away, with the hen facing away from me and the strutter facing towards me. I also like to offset them a little compared to where I think the birds will come from, that way I'm not in his line of sight right on the other side of the decoys.

This^^ :icon_thumright:

mtsrunner

Quote from: BlakeJ on April 06, 2013, 06:09:33 PM

I agree with all of that, except I use a Jake instead of the strutter.
If I'm not sure where the Tom is expected to come from, I will offset them more to my left because I'm right handed and it's easier to swing to the left to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30_06

I don't use a strutter, usually DSD jake and a hen. They are usually set up as described above or with the hen in a submissive pose, but always around 5 maybe 10 yards away.