turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blind mesh

Started by Balla1982, April 06, 2013, 09:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balla1982

Has anyone ever shot through the mesh on purpose?  I wanted to know if it could possibly throw the pattern off and if so how much.
Mainly for taking youth or inexperienced hunters is why I'm asking.

redarrow

It wont hurt the pattern at all. My concern is the flame thrower melting the mesh or maybe setting it on fire. ???

barry

Quote from: redarrow on April 06, 2013, 10:10:17 AM
It wont hurt the pattern at all. My concern is the flame thrower melting the mesh or maybe setting it on fire. ???

That and if the muzzle is inside the blind your ears are gonna be ringing!

alloutdoors

I let a youth hunter shoot through the mesh on my T2 once, which didn't have the option of lowering it on the main window (I had tried to set up so the shot would be out a side window but the bird didn't cooperate). It punched a perfect 12ga size hole in the mesh, but also tore a cross pattern about the size of a softball.

Really though, if you have the option, just go with the mesh down.

firstflight111

you don't need the mesh just wear black on top half of your body hat ,gloves, face mask,shirt, when you in the blind.i run a double bull wide open , never had any issues with it .and 2 always put the sun to your back . or if your not ready for that just cut round holes in it ,that's what i did at first way back when i started .now wide open they walk right up on you

this is from an old blind

this one was at 10 feet from my blind wide open
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

kevin2

I shot threw the mesh in our blind with my bow 2 years ago, killed the deer. I had heard that you could do this & at the spur of the moment, I either had to find out for myself if it indeed worked OR let the deer go. I shot! Dead on target with the bow. It put a crystal clear 3 blade cut into the mesh.

I actually called the Manufacture of my particular popup blind to ask them about shooting threw the mesh soon after, inquiring about shooting guns threw the mesh & the were very clear that it is not ment to be shot threw with any sort of a gun. The manufactures rep went on to tell me that they've had several very bad reports come back from hunters that have used various guns to attempt to shoot threw the mesh, sighting stores of the blind actually being uprooted from the ground & being drug forward from the force of the guns projective hittng the mesh & not being able to "cut" threw the mesh like a arrows sharp broadhead. Sounded pretty scary when the rep told me the concequences of said shot attempts. He could not have been more clear that the mesh was only designed to be shot threw with cut on contact broadheads, like a 125 Thunderhead for instance.

I've read here on the internet about various findings with guns & bows. May pay to do some research on the subject.

Food for thought...
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Balla1982

Thanks guys. My boy has a hard time being still so that's why I was inquiring, but he's asleep at the moment so we're all good. I'm gonna open it up and make dab a little more black f paint on him when he wakes.