turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First of the year!!!

Started by runngun, April 06, 2013, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

On March 28, I was hunting a clear cut that I knew held turkeys even though I had not heard anything since our opening day of March 23. Got in there early and put out an "UGLY" hen decoy (you know the foam type)  about thirty yards away, got set up in the middle of a clump of privet, so I settled in. At daylight I hear the hens going crazy in the woodline about 300 yards away, then I hear a gobble. So I start trying to aggravate the hens by doing everything they would do, even louder. The gobbler would answer. He must have gobbled 75 times. Then it happened, they all flew down. I see five hens and a jake, I cut my eyes to the left and he just appeared in full stut at 40 yards and he strutted right up to that ugly decoy, I purr and yelp softly on my mouth call and he gobbles and struts some more. I could not take any more so I "putt" and he comes to half strut and sticks his old head right up. I shot him at 30 yards with my Browning 10 gauge. The only calls I used were an old Preston Pittman box and Houndstooth cutter style call. Houndstooth ROCKS!!! He had an 11.25 inch beard, 1.25 spurs and weighed in at 19.5 pounds!!!

I hope this works cause I ain't real swift on the computer, this is my first attempt at posting pictures.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

alclark2

Pictures worked and nice bird. Congrats! Nice hooks on that dude.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

tomstopper

Good looking bird.Congrats......

DirtNap647

boomer

Mike Honcho

Congratulations...pictures and story were great...thanks for sharing!
Nice tom!

captin_hook

alloutdoors

renegade19

Shakey Jake

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

beagler

Never Misses

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

slamman