turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what posture hen decoy ?

Started by DirtNap647, April 05, 2013, 10:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

i am thinking about getting a hen decoy for runnin and gunnin what posture do you guys recommend for that upright, feeding, or breeding i never use decoys but have thought sometimes a hen in front of me would have helped seal the deal...thank you guys in advance

busta biggun

Upright is the most commonly used but feeding would work as well. If I were to use just one it would be upright. They can see it better, she looks like she is looking for him, etc.

whaler

I disagree. I know its more visible but I like the look of the feeding hen. I have a feeding DSD hen and I think it works well. Most of the time, I see hens they are picking at bugs etc and hold their head upright to yelp, then back to the ground. In calf-high grass i find the feeding hen to be very effective at mimicking a lonely hen. I have used an upright hen a number of times and killed birds but I have had a couple of mature toms hang up waiting for the hen to come to them, something about the look of a frozen upright hen that I think they know something is up. Youll kill em with either.

another bonus of a feeding hen, or at least, my DSD, is that it is a little more compact to carry.

Flydown

Duke0002

Merits to both postures.  I'm partial to feeding hen.  A more relaxed look.

EASY

I like the look of a feeding hen looks more relaxed to me. I don't know what the turkeys think though.

30_06

I usually use the upright hen, it allows me to use it as submissive as well.....course that is in conjunction with the jake.

darron

I use both a dsd feeder and a dsd upright with a dsd jake in tow. Cover all bases LOL

HARDCORE

I think any posture will work but I prefer the upright. If I only have one deke staked out and I'm calling, I don't want her head down pecking at the ground.

HC

chrisun

Quote from: Duke0002 on April 05, 2013, 01:15:41 PM
Merits to both postures.  I'm partial to feeding hen.  A more relaxed look.

I have to agree.
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.