turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Avian X...Damn this thing is heavy!!!

Started by sixbird, April 04, 2013, 10:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaightlabs

I guess if a deke weighs a lot, when ya kill a turkey ya quarter it out and call a couple friends to help? :toothy12:

No offense meant towards anyone thatis getting up there in age or is in the woods despite a physical ailment.

I alway figure that I could stand to lose 25 lbs.  I better do that before I worry about my dekes.

Last year in KS I carried in about 1.5 miles a double bull blind, 4 rebar stakes, a DSD hen and jake, a shotgun, a couple gatorades, my loaded vest, a chair and my carcass.  On the way out I had no Gatorade and one less shell along with a 20 pound bird...never noticed the weight on therapy out.

devin4484

I dont notice the weight of my avian x feeding hen.  I love it and have killed quite a few gobblers over it.  I just throw it over my shoulder and go my favorite place to use it is in the timber on firetrails.

sixbird

Thanks gents...Look, I'm not saying I "can't" carry the weight. I'm an alpine snowboarder and I keep up with guys in their 30's and 40's (I'm 62) and, if I must say so myself, pretty handily...I just like to travel light and to carry an extra two or three pounds in my vest...Well, I don't see that as necessary.
I can use one of the almost weightless foam decoys and fool almost all of the birds where I hunt and I hardly know I'm carrying it.
I guess what I'm saying is I don't see the utility in carrying a "heavy" decoy when one of the goofy looking foam ones does the same thing.
Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful and realistic but maybe not for me...

Dr.Love

When I first picked up the breeder hen I thought it was heavy. Carried it around all morning and it wasnt a problem at all. But in the decoy bag and threw it across my back. Didnt even know it was there. To bad I never heard a gobble so I didnt get to put it to use.

NorfolkHunter

Just returned from Nebraska on a bow hunt for turkeys. One friend on the hunt used an Avian X and couldn't get the birds to commit. 2 of us were using DSD's and had some great action. 4 of us went to Nebraska on the hunt. 2 with DSD's the other 2 didn't. When we got home everyone had DSD's in their arsenal. We left on our trip with 8 DSD's (I own 5). We returned home with 14.
Weight is not an issue. I carry lots of gear when bowhunting for turkeys and in my opinion DSD's are just another essential part of the hunt. You can kill a bird with any decoy but a birds reaction to the DSD's is what sets them apart.

Balla1982

For the price I can get the Avians X at compared to DSD. I'll stick with my Avian for right now until I feel like it becomes an issue wight the weight. I'm 31 so I don't see it being an issue for a while but you never know.

Houndstooth Game Calls

I bought the avian x jake and I like it a little heavy but not bad. I wanted the DSD but the dad that I looked at wasn't this years model it wasnt as sharp contrast colored as the jake. I had a client come in with a new DSD jake and I realized I was looking at a older decoy so we hunted with his killed turkeys with his and killed turkeys with his no problems.. Here's the comparison- axian x jake the stake sucks one of the key things I use for decoying a turkey is having the decoy turned side way to the turkey easier to spot than head on garunteed! No matter wich way u put that stake in the ground than sun ofa guns gonna turn the other way. I am picky like that the other thing the decoy strap and bag is to small. Just me saying I like the decoy now just small things I noticed! The DSD well I can turn that decoy any way I want the small grommets and one piece stake are perfect and the hole in decoy is perfect pull decoy out of bag and stake same time no searching or rattling around.. The decoy bag fits across my back no problem with best on and it's def lighter decoy new detail and painting is superb. So you can buy a semi perfect decoy or one that every things perfect! I will have a DSD jake no doubt next season jmo! No doubt they both work but the small things are what makes these decoys.. Also don't even dare try to deflate that jake your tail will be winded if you just hiked 3/4 deep and realize you have a perfect setup for a decoy!! Jmo

DirtNap647

i was amazed for a decoy at the weight seemed a little heavy but if it helps you tote agobbler out then i guess its worth it

anthonyjhallen

DSD are made in the USA the avian is not.

Just sayin.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

devin4484

I get so tired of reading dsd are made in America and avian x aren't, I bet half the stuff the average person uses or wears during hunting season is made over sea's. Whether its their transportation, clothes, boots, vest, etc.  It's not that big of a deal.

NYbassman

Quote from: devin4484 on April 08, 2013, 01:05:40 PM
I get so tired of reading dsd are made in America and avian x aren't, I bet half the stuff the average person uses or wears during hunting season is made over sea's. Whether its their transportation, clothes, boots, vest, etc.  It's not that big of a deal.

Just like I get so tired of reading this argument by people like you. What is your point? Just because I own a lot of stuff overseas I cannot prefer to buy goods made here in the USA by our fellow Americans? I admit I do not pay much attention to where things are made when it comes to everyday necessities such as the clothes, boots, etc. that you mention. A big difference there is that it is difficult to find things made here if you are looking for a specific item. But if I am deciding between two very comparable products, and one is made here while the other is made in China, you can bet your  that is going to factor into my decision. I am not saying you need to shop around for American made products any time you buy something in life(even though that would be great), but if you have the choice between two pretty much equal products made in different places, why would you NOT buy the one made here?

sixbird

Quote from: NYbassman on April 08, 2013, 04:31:33 PM
Quote from: devin4484 on April 08, 2013, 01:05:40 PM

Just like I get so tired of reading this argument by people like you. What is your point? Just because I own a lot of stuff overseas I cannot prefer to buy goods made here in the USA by our fellow Americans? I admit I do not pay much attention to where things are made when it comes to everyday necessities such as the clothes, boots, etc. that you mention. A big difference there is that it is difficult to find things made here if you are looking for a specific item. But if I am deciding between two very comparable products, and one is made here while the other is made in China, you can bet your  that is going to factor into my decision. I am not saying you need to shop around for American made products any time you buy something in life(even though that would be great), but if you have the choice between two pretty much equal products made in different places, why would you NOT buy the one made here?

Well said...Everybody complains about jobs going to China but they wouldn't be willing to spend a few more dollars to support American labor. Lots of things, as you said, there isn't a choice. Others you can choose.
Before anybody jumps on me for doing this exact thing (which I can't deny). Cabelas points that I haven't been able to use and the unavailabilty of DSD factored into my decision...I do factor the country of origin into my buying decisions...

Tail Feathers

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 05, 2013, 09:13:30 AM
Couple of you fellas need to hit the gym.

:TooFunny:

Hey Jack!  I get plenty of excercise...RUNNING my mouth, JUMPING to conclusions, PUSHING my luck, stuff like that. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

socalturkeyman

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 09, 2013, 08:26:28 PM
Quote from: spaightlabs on April 05, 2013, 09:13:30 AM
Couple of you fellas need to hit the gym.

:TooFunny:

Hey Jack!  I get plenty of excercise...RUNNING my mouth, JUMPING to conclusions, PUSHING my luck, stuff like that. :TooFunny:
Now we cookin' with peanut oil!
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy