OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Avian X...Damn this thing is heavy!!!

Started by sixbird, April 04, 2013, 10:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Bought an Avian X breeding hen from Cabelas. I was all excited when it arrived today. Gorgeous paint job/lifelike pose/head perfect but DAMN that thing is HEAVY!!! Back in the box that baby goes...I can't imagine carrying that around all day!
Are the DSD's heavy like that?

ccleroy

No the DSD's are not heavy like the X's..... I would not own a X because of the weight alone if I needed one...go with DSD

Flydown

Quote from: ccleroy on April 04, 2013, 10:22:17 PM
No the DSD's are not heavy like the X's..... I would not own a X because of the weight alone if I needed one...go with DSD

I would have to say I agree 100 % with statement!

sixbird

Thanks gents...I think I'd be an inch shorter after a day carrying one of these and all my calls, shells, etc.! Think maybe they should include a wagon with the package!!!

ccleroy

nativeks

I did a comparison thread over on archerytalk. My brother had Avian X and I have DSD. Long story short he sold his Avian X and now runs DSD as well.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1717086&highlight=avian

B-Rad1

I have Avian X ! Paint job on the body looks good, the head looks pretty real but Lord that sucker weighs a ton. After hauling that sucker around on two hunts It now has a place hanging in my shop. I'm now in the market for a DSD, should have purchased one in the first place.

jhcats10

Well I've used the breeder hen since they came out and I've never even thought about the weight when hunting. I guess I'm in the minority but I've hauled mine all over Kansas and it never bothered me, I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spaightlabs

Couple of you fellas need to hit the gym.

:TooFunny:

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

busta biggun

My friend has Avian's and next to my DSD dekes they look like bloated footballs. It looks to me like they modified a playground ball and shaped it to look like a turkey. Not trying to offend anybody, just didn't like the shape of those things. Maybe they have since modified them.

ziggy

i have both (avian x and dad) and honestly can't tell the difference in weight between them.  dsd might look a little better, but i've found myself using the avian x more recently.  two gobblers ran up to the avian x a couple days ago to meet their death.
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

wvboy

Cherokee Sport Blow ups don't weigh hardly anything :)
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

TauntoHawk

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 05, 2013, 09:13:30 AM
Couple of you fellas need to hit the gym.

:TooFunny:

I dont use decoys much but when I do I never think of the Avains as heavy, mine weigh 2lbs 11oz. if you struggle with under 3lbs you aren't ment to carry decoys I guess. I just don't see the need for them at all in most situations though so I dont carry them everywhere all season either. If I used decoys all the time Id go with the DSD just because I like the posture better.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

njdevilsb

My dad bought a couple of X's and I've never thought of the weight as a problem.  Between my gun, shells, vest and seat, the decoy doesn't seem like that big of a deal to carry.