OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many have lost a spot because...

Started by honker22, March 07, 2011, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honker22

How many of ya'll have lost a good turkey hunting spot because, out of "kindness", you took the landowner along with you on a hunt?  I have lost my best few spots around home because of this.  At the end of the day- I reflect and say "Well I had a good run and I enjoyed it while I could."

The other side makes me a little hesitant to do this in the future.  I can't blame the guy, it's his land, and he can do whatever he wishes and he didn't have to let me hunt it in the 1st place.  Almost everyone I've guided has gotten hooked and it's good for the sport, but I am a little selfish when it comes to turkeys.

Just wondering if any of you had experience like this.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

TNTomtaker01

Not yet. Most of my places belong to old farmers that hate the old "seed buzzards"!

redarrow

I lost a favorite deer,squirrel woods to a group from Domino's pizza chain. Money talks and I was too broke to speak.Had a good 10 plus years there though.

chcltlabz

Got one worse than that.  I lost TWO spots because we took a farmer's grandson hunting.  We were even leasing the spot, and the next year we were told that family only was going to hunt it.  After he hunted the snot out of that spot, he went to his Aunt and got family permission to hunt another farm we had, so we lost that one too.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Basser69

I got kicked off a lease because the owners buddy needed somewhere to hunt. He gave us 30 days to get all of our shooting boxes and stands off the propery.

Muskie03

I had the opposite happen. I took a farmer and his wife out last year and they got their first turkeys. Now I have access to all his land, his families land, and some friends of his.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

turkey slayer

Quote from: Muskie03 on March 07, 2011, 02:03:04 PM
I had the opposite happen. I took a farmer and his wife out last year and they got their first turkeys. Now I have access to all his land, his families land, and some friends of his.
thats awesome!

honker22

Congrats,  a nice positive response.  That isn't the way it happens in Louisiana. 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

vicksburg

Quote from: honker22 on March 07, 2011, 02:23:23 PM

Congrats,  a nice positive response.  That isn't the way it happens in Louisiana. 
not the way it happens in MS either...
]

Basser69

Quote from: vicksburg on March 07, 2011, 02:26:16 PM
Quote from: honker22 on March 07, 2011, 02:23:23 PM

not the way it happens in MS either...

Usually dont happen like that in Ala either

hookedspur

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

wisconsinteacher

Not for turkeys but I lost two bowhunting spots.  The land owner said go ahead and hunt it, no one has ever shot a deer here with a bow.  I hunted it for 3 years and shot 3 bucks off it.  One was a nice 8.  After he saw the deer, he decided he was going to hunt it.  I also had a spot a guy in the Twin Cities owned and never hunted.  I shot a nice buck and in thanks sent him a card and told him the meat was helpful for a college student.  The next year I called and he said he was going to lease the land for $1,000 and that some guy from the Cities was going to hunt it.  If I would have never sent the card, I could still be hunting it.  

Reloader

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 07, 2011, 02:36:35 PM
Not for turkeys but I lost two bowhunting spots.  The land owner said go ahead and hunt it, no one has ever shot a deer here with a bow.  I hunted it for 3 years and shot 3 bucks off it.  One was a nice 8.  After he saw the deer, he decided he was going to hunt it.  I also had a spot a guy in the Twin Cities owned and never hunted.  I shot a nice buck and in thanks sent him a card and told him the meat was helpful for a college student.  The next year I called and he said he was going to lease the land for $1,000 and that some guy from the Cities was going to hunt it.  If I would have never sent the card, I could still be hunting it.  

Sometimes it's best to be very friendly and helpful to the landowners, but not let them know what you get on their property unless they ask. 

catdaddy

I have for sure--and this ties back to the thread we had a while back about turkey hunters telling the truth. I used to have a great turkey hunting honey hole. The land owner did not turkey hunt so I had full run of the place. Since he was not a turkey hunter, I thought he would be excited to hear about all my gobbler encounters and hear about and see pics of the gobblers I killed.  I was wrong. In hind sight, I think he became jealous of all the fun I was having--now, I can't hunt it at all unless he decides to come along as well.

Now I have another great place on private ground--but guess what-- I almost never see or kill any turkeys there ( nod nod/wink wink).

I learned my lesson--loose lips sink ships.

Reloader

Quote from: catdaddy on March 07, 2011, 03:27:29 PM
I have for sure--and this ties back to the thread we had a while back about turkey hunters telling the truth. I used to have a great turkey hunting honey hole. The land owner did not turkey hunt so I had full run of the place. Since he was not a turkey hunter, I thought he would be excited to hear about all my gobbler encounters and hear about and see pics of the gobblers I killed.  I was wrong. In hind sight, I think he became jealous of all the fun I was having--now, I can't hunt it at all unless he decides to come along as well.

Now I have another great place on private ground--but guess what-- I almost never see or kill any turkeys there ( nod nod/wink wink).

I learned my lesson--loose lips sink ships.

I hate those gar holes too catdaddy :D