OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got my dad on a bird......

Started by Dan Mallia, April 04, 2013, 09:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Mallia

This was a hard fought bird. We'd had a couple of wet weather days and I figured with the great weather day the birds would be active and vocal. We'd heard a few gobbles throughout the day but otherwise it was quiet.

At 3:15(we can hunt til 4:00 here in CA) a couple of hens came to investigate the DSD flock after I'd mimicked a bunch of hens having an altercation. They brought this guy with them, completely silent. Dad finished him off at ten yards.  :funnyturkey:

Hunting out of a ground blind is awesome. My dad, who is 71, was comfortable all day and could move and stretch when needed. I let him borrow some black clothes to add to his "blind camo".  :OGturkeyhead:

Bird had some great color with the lighter shade fan tips, maybe some merriams in him from somewhere in his checkered California turkey past.  :TooFunny: No spurs at all. Had a six inch beard thar was white/brown on the end of it.

Fun day, got my dad on a bird. Rest of the season is gravy!

DirtNap647

870FaceLift

Nice.  Pretty tailfan on that bird!  :icon_thumright:
Pass it on...

Roostem33

Congrats, one you want forget!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

Congrats to your dad on a good looking bird.....

Muzzy61

Congratulation. Can't beat time shared with you dad.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Wingboneman

EASY

Shakey Jake

Awesome bird! Congrats to you both! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Rio Fan

That's a great photo.  Congrats to you and your dad!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

kansas hooks

ElkTurkMan

Congrats to both of you on a awesome memory