OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

4/3/13 hunt

Started by TRKYHTR, April 03, 2013, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

So after Jason killed his turkey I went to work. After work I had a few hours before the end of shooting time. So I grabbed my camo and my wifes Grandads 410. Thanks to  (Hal) for sending me some 410 shells. I set out one of my decoys and kicked back. I called on and off for a couple hours with no response. I was about to give up with 30 minutes left of shooting time and decided to get out some of my mouth calls and call on them to make sure they were still good. About the third one I heard a turkey gobble a ways off. I waited a minute or so and called again and they gobbled again. So I moved a little closer and got on the same level as them and called again. They gobbled right back. Now they are getting closer. I cutt at them again and and they hammered back. I then turned and ran back to my set up. I was trying to real them in. I sat down and the next time I called they were 50 yards. Then I hear spitting and drumming. He moved to my left and got directly behind me. He gobbled again just out of sight so I cutt at him again and then the spitting and drumming got real close. I was watching the dirt road thinking they were coming that way. Then he came into view at 10 yards. Then 2 others came into view. All 3 longbeards were fixed on my decoy. He strutted around a mound of dirt and I got my gun up. He came into view at 12 yards and I let the big dog 410 eat. He went down like he was hit with a Mack truck. 9 1/9" beard, 21.7 lbs, 7/8" spurs. It was absolutely FUN. What a day.

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

kevin2

Congrats. Nice write up. Love that your 410 ruled the day, it gives me more confidence with my 28g in a few more weeks...
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Flydown

You da man Joe! Batting 1250. Brother! Awesome awesome awesome!

HARDCORE

Awesome Joe, Congrats!

Keep doing work buddy, pile em high.

I like DEAD turkeys . . .

HC

spur collector

Congrats on a successful hunt.

DirtNap647

Mike Honcho

Great read and hunt...gotta add an extra measure of fun with a .410

boomer

renegade19

Nice work Joe.  May be a dumb question, but California turkeys are "Easterns"?

Dan Mallia

Strong work! Nice bird! Congrats!

With the .410 is awesome!!!

TRKYHTR

Quote from: renegade19 on April 04, 2013, 08:59:49 AM
Nice work Joe.  May be a dumb question, but California turkeys are "Easterns"?

Rio's

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

tomstopper

Nice & congrats. Looks like your having one heck of a season so far......

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice going , congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Muzzy61

Congratulations.   :icon_thumright:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

catdaddy

Hey man--that is cool stuff--I have been thing about trying for a "Guage Slam" myself.